Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts or recommendations on 27.5 boost forks in the 130 to 140mm range for a 260 lb Clyde? Not trying to break the bank, hoping to get something in the $500-600 range.

Currently riding a Rockshox Recon RL that came on my Marin Hawk Hill 2 and it's by far the weakest part of the bike. In particular I'm looking at either a Manitou Mattoc Comp or a Manitou Mattoc Pro but I'm open to thoughts on Fox and Rockshox.

I'm a fairly aggressive rider but the front fork on my bike is seriously holding back my confidence in a lot of rocky and rooty sections.

·
jcd's best friend
3,498 Posts
You can order a RockShox Revelation from Transition Bikes for $500. It’s 150mm travel. I use that on my Transition Scout. You don’t have to own a Transition to buy a fork on discount from them. Just select the Scout frame on their website and then you see the option to “add a fork.” Just click that and order just the fork. Their 27.5” forks have 37mm offsets which makes the bike nice and nimble. They also have a Pike RCT3 for $765.

Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I should elaborate that I'm not really looking for a used fork (although I'm sure there are plenty of good used options and I live in upstate SC/WNC so there's tons of 2nd hand parts.)

I've thought about either a pike or a revelation but I've heard a lot of people complain about having to tune the shimstacks and change seals etc. Not opposed to getting a good deal on a takeoff or new fox or Rockshox and having to add an MRP cartridge though.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I guess I should elaborate that I'm not really looking for a used fork (although I'm sure there are plenty of good used options and I live in upstate SC/WNC so there's tons of 2nd hand parts.)

I've thought about either a pike or a revelation but I've heard a lot of people complain about having to tune the shimstacks and change seals etc. Not opposed to getting a good deal on a takeoff or new fox or Rockshox and having to add an MRP cartridge though.
Reason I said used is because the Avalanche Racing open bath is north of $400 alone. But the nice part is the only upkeep required after the mod is air and wiper seals.

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
The Revelation and Yari are the same fork with travel being the difference. I have been riding my Yari for 3-4 years now first as a 120mm on my Camber and now as 140mm on my Hightower. I love my Yari and recommend it (or now the Revelation as well) to anybody.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The Revelation and Yari are the same fork with travel being the difference. I have been riding my Yari for 3-4 years now first as a 120mm on my Camber and now as 140mm on my Hightower. I love my Yari and recommend it (or now the Revelation as well) to anybody.
Doesn't the Yari run on the stiffer Lyrik chassis and the Revelation is on the Pike chassis?

·
No talent hack
1,118 Posts
Doesn't the Yari run on the stiffer Lyrik chassis and the Revelation is on the Pike chassis?
Originally, the Revelation was based on a 32mm chassis before they moved it to the 35mm. The Yari was originally based off the stiffer Lyrik chassis back when I bought my fork (part of the reason I went Yari with a short 120mm stroke) which was before the Pike was updated in 2017 or 2018... I think the Pike and Lyrik chassis came in line at that update.

With the new forks, I am no longer sure there is a difference between stiffness of the Pike and Lyrik. The Pike chassis has a shorter max stroke than Lyrik when there use to be some overlap. The Pike/Revelation 120-160mm is now while the Yari/Lyrik are 150-180mm. I know the website says the chassis are different, it does not claim one to be stiff er anymore. I think the uppers (chassis) may be different lengths to accommodate the different travels now but may be not REALLY different. Did any of that make sense?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.