Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I've been building some forks lately and I've run into a couple of issues that I thought I would see if others have had as well.

First, unicrown blades - What're you using? I'm having trouble finding ones that I like that will work well for a suspension corrected 29er fork.
So far I have tried the nova "29er" ones which are long enough for good tire clearance, but overkill for a lot of applications in my opinion.

The true temper 1.25" tapered version seems to be pretty much the same but more tapered - I think they look pretty funky.

I really like the Verus 1.125 tapered blades, but with standard dropouts, I am having trouble making a 470ish mm AC work.

Next is crown races - I've tried Nova, HJ and Paragon, and the bore's have all been undersized and more than one had the race seat undersized too, which is kind of ridiculous. I'll probably just make my own from now on.

And then for brake mounts, I've done a couple post mount forks now (that I made) and one ISO (Paragon) - I'm not really sure if either has that many advantages but I'd like to hear your opinions if ya' got em.

Anyway, sorry for all that, I've had too much coffee this morning.
-Adam

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
You've figured out the great Achille's heel of unicrowns - the blades are often not exactly what you want and the selection sort of sucks. The plus side is of course convenience - I can whip out a unicrown fork in <30 minutes, I bet.

Best way to go about it, IMO, is to just do a very thorough survey of what is available and if you can't find the right blade for a certain application, do a different style of fork.

You can also bend/rake unicrown blades (time to make a fork bender!) for a slightly different appearance if looks are important.

-Walt

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks cable, that's what I was going for.

Walt -
Yeah, I really like unicrowns. A lot just for the aesthetic, but also because they are easy. I have a fixture to miter them on a lathe, with that the hard part is done in a couple of minutes. It could be used for segmented forks too though.

If I tweak the DO's I made a bit I should be able to do some stuff pretty well, or maybe I'll look into doing my own.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Adam

re: Crown Races. It happens with some of the minor parts that machining up your own just has to be done. I gave up on 'off the shelf' and get my machinist friend to do a few for me. It is simply better when I know what I have is reliable. I have seen some really ugly crown races on the market, some made from seamed tube, with the seam bulge needing dressed off so it would slide down the steerer tube. Not inspiring.

Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.