Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a Marzocchi 700 XC 100mm fork for my hardtail. It's great. Now I've decided to buy a full suspension frame and build it up. Based on what is coming off of the FS frame, my steer tube is going to be to short. Can a steer tube be removed and replaced, or would I be better off cutting my losses and trying to get what I can out of this fork and buying one that would fit? What sucks is that its(my Marz) brand new- only ridden a handful of times.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
If you're lucky (and the frames you like suit) then you might be able to use the fork on it with the steerer cut as it is.

However, I wouldnt choose a frame JUST because the fork would fit it... That wouldnt be the right reason to choose a certain frame.

Personally speaking - I would keep it on your hardtail and start from scratch on the fullsus build - everyone needs a good hardtail to build skills on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be going on an 05 Gary Fisher Cake 3 Deluxe. The Cake originally came with a 120mm travel fork as well. I've looked at the tube and it is definately shorter than that of the original.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Marzocchi last I heard was offering steerer tube replacements for forks; it's been a few years since I had them do one, though. Next time you have a fork it's something to think about keeping a little extra length on your steerer and using spacers rather than worry about aesthetics of the shortest possible steerer...

·
Registered
136 Posts
If it is the same xc 700 tst2 I just bought, then I believe it is adjustable between 100mm-130mm.
I know it definitely has 2 ride heights that you can switch between and I believe they may be 100-130.
So you could run it at 130 most of the time and then switch it to 100 for steep climbs.

I am going the opposite way. My Trek 6500 came with a 100mm fork and so I will run it as 100 except on really gnarly downhill sections then I will see how it runs at 130

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
keith_mahoney said:
If it is the same xc 700 tst2 I just bought, then I believe it is adjustable between 100mm-130mm.
I know it definitely has 2 ride heights that you can switch between and I believe they may be 100-130.
So you could run it at 130 most of the time and then switch it to 100 for steep climbs.

I am going the opposite way. My Trek 6500 came with a 100mm fork and so I will run it as 100 except on really gnarly downhill sections then I will see how it runs at 130
Mine is the Retro, and I believe your is the SL Model. I'll probably get in touch with the LBS today and see what they tell me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.