Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that so many older forks have shrouds over the stanchions and sometimes rear shock, but newer forks don't come with them? Isn't protection from scratches and gouges a good thing? It seems to me that air forks, especially long travel air forks, need to protect the long exposed stanchions from damage.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Clearly you haven't noticed how *****en those exposed stanchions look.

Air forks have the air spring inside the stanchion, if you've scratched it enough to affect the spring.... you're fork is highly kaput.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scottzg said:
Clearly you haven't noticed how *****en those exposed stanchions look.

Air forks have the air spring inside the stanchion, if you've scratched it enough to affect the spring.... you're fork is highly kaput.
Fair enough, but scratches allow dirt to get past the seals and much things up, right?

·
Registered
678 Posts
seals got better over the years and stanchion coating too.

also the plastic shroud were used mostly on the inverted forks like the MARZO Shiver mainly beacause they were nmore prone to rock damage. not many inverted fork nowadays

theres also a fashion statement now. bikes look clener whitout theses protections.

you can still put neopreen booth and plastic shroud if you want. it might extend life of your suspension components.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
*conspiracy theory* ...or since it looks cleaner, suspension companies stopped putting them on so they'd get more sales!

"Oh, you scratched your stanchion. Sorry, you're going to need a new fork."

(Yes, I know you can repair it with a file/nail polish, my TALAS 32 has that repair done.)

·
Underskilled
4,814 Posts
People always ask me about this as I use them.

something poorly made like a lizardskin will cause damage.

Something like what I made, might not be so pretty but is air tight, literally (i need to take into account the change of size in compression).

Filled the bottom with oil. fork oil splashed on the stancs, wipers removed for less drag.

looks ugly, but the bike is for riding right?

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
Ugly yes, but if they are air tight then nice job.

On a different note, I used to carry my bikes on my mini with bike wheels sticking out to the sides. Are you not worried that with the bike wheels being wider that than the car, they'll not catch on something? I used to take the wheels off and stick 'em on the back seat because I was worried the wheels would catch.

·
meow, meow.
2,498 Posts
CaveGiant, do you have close up photos of your covers? And what materials have you used?

I've been thinking about a step-up from lizardskins, using some umbrella fabric and zip ties, but that wasn't going to be air tight nor oil filled, and I would have left the original oil and dust seals in place.

Your implementation sounds much better.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
One Pivot said:
searching for solutions to things without problems.. you're more likely to crash and bash in a stanchion. not that many people are damaging uppers, boots or not.
My fork is substantially more plush with ghetto stanchion shrouds, on rainy days, even with the enduro seals. Oil stays much cleaner, too. Hate all you want.

·
meow, meow.
2,498 Posts
scottzg said:
Oil stays much cleaner, too.
Yes, this is exactly what I'm expecting to achieve with such mod.
Plushness comes second, damage protection a distant third.

This is a promising everyday setup if done correctly, especially if chromoly stanchions are used.
(There's a bit of singlespeed mentality in here, I think.)

·
Underskilled
4,814 Posts
Hi,

They are easy to make if you have the right tools/method, I had lots of fails before I got to this.

Get some industrial plastic bags with clear plastic in.

buy a heat sealer with enough length to do the entire boot in one (I have 6" so got an 8").

Wrap full length around stanchions. Do one light bond then about 1cm a solid bond.
Trip off the excess,

Then use good quality electrical tape to seal top and bottom (you need a LOT of tape).

You want them a little baggy, it makes them look ugly but they last longer.

Easy!

·
meow, meow.
2,498 Posts
Okay, thanks! I'll explore into this method.

How long do the baggy ones last?
What minimum ambient temperature have you ridden this setup at?

Is this an example of heat sealer that will do the job?

·
Registered
21 Posts
This looks quite practical, I just bought a new set of minute 120s for my 29er and on the first ride through some very sloppy mud fields I noticed that mud catches on the reverse arch and pools/cakes on top of the stanchion seals. After 10 minutes riding my nice new stanchions were travelling through a good inch of mud...not impressed. Has anyone else run this setup successfully?

Nice ride cavegiant, the bike looks bigger than your car :)

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
marzjennings said:
Overall I think fork boots only made things worse by trapping dirt and moisture against stanchions.
ive heard this about cheap ones too. and on a side note wont a bikes wheel base be longer than most cars are wide? i know its certainly not the biggest car but on a hitch mount my bike's wheels stick out about half a foot on each side of my dad's honda pilot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.