Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I need new springs for my lowered Z1 forks and it is almost impossible to find MZ springs in my country in the right lenght.
Is it possible and safe to use Rock Shox or Manitou fork springs?
Is it safe and possible to run smaller diameter spring than I have from the different MZ fork?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I used a Manitou Sherman series fork spring to make a hybrid coil/air conversion on a Marz Z150SL. It resulted in an awesome fork. One problem you may encounter with many Manitou and RS springs is that those springs are rated to work solo, and you're fork is designed to work with 2 springs...depending on your model, of course. You have to insure that the coils are not too large a diameter to fit your fork, and that the extended and fully compressed length are not out of whack with your fork's travel and spring stack height. It may take some experimentation, but it can be done. In the case of my Z150SL, the Doppio air cartridge was still in place, so it working in concert with a soft Manitou Sherman spring made a very tuneable fork.

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
TNC said:
I used a Manitou Sherman series fork spring to make a hybrid coil/air conversion on a Marz Z150SL. It resulted in an awesome fork. One problem you may encounter with many Manitou and RS springs is that those springs are rated to work solo, and you're fork is designed to work with 2 springs...depending on your model, of course. You have to insure that the coils are not too large a diameter to fit your fork, and that the extended and fully compressed length are not out of whack with your fork's travel and spring stack height. It may take some experimentation, but it can be done. In the case of my Z150SL, the Doppio air cartridge was still in place, so it working in concert with a soft Manitou Sherman spring made a very tuneable fork.
I should also add that I obtained a standard coil Marz Z150 cartridge to install in the other leg of my fork to install my Manitou spring. Here's a pic of that setup. I did heat and lower one end of the Manitou spring a few mm's, as it was a hair taller than the normal Marz spring. You already have a coil cartridge, so you'd just have to find a compatible spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Question for TNC...or other knowledge fellows

TNC - is there a resource to check spring rates and lengths for any and all available 32mm stanchion coil forks? Not many left, but I would be interested in checking compatibility. I am on the just into the recommended weight for a "heavy" fox spring, but once I get riding more frequently, I will be right on the 180# line between standard and heavy. Ideally, I'd like to find something that has my in the middle of the weight range, so I can use minimal preload to dial sag. Am I nuts, or does this make sense? Deep in my memory, back in the motorcycle days, I recall excessive preload being a bad thing...again, I could be way off here.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
reformed roadie said:
TNC - is there a resource to check spring rates and lengths for any and all available 32mm stanchion coil forks? Not many left, but I would be interested in checking compatibility. I am on the just into the recommended weight for a "heavy" fox spring, but once I get riding more frequently, I will be right on the 180# line between standard and heavy. Ideally, I'd like to find something that has my in the middle of the weight range, so I can use minimal preload to dial sag. Am I nuts, or does this make sense? Deep in my memory, back in the motorcycle days, I recall excessive preload being a bad thing...again, I could be way off here.
I've found the selection of exacting spring rates to fit a given rider, bike, and terrain to be somewhat of a crapshoot...and it seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. You take your best shot, hope for the best, and be prepared to have to buy another spring. Spring calculators and manufacturer guides are a good place to start, but they are no guarantee. And yes...excessive preload kind of sucks.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.