Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically some bike shop ruined my fork and is willing to fix it at cost and not charge me labor or let me walk out with a new fork at cost minus the cost to fix my old fork. I'm on an 04/05 heckler and would like to now get the talas 140. Is that to much for my bike or could I even go up to the 150. Also feel free to suggest a different fork.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
pretty sure a 140 Talas would be fine. i dont imagine a 150 would cause any problems either. plenty of people run the Fox 160s on their Hecklers. although to be honest, I cant say I know for sure on that year, but I would think 150 would be fine

·
Registered
785 Posts
yes plenty of people run 150mm marzocchi's, and 160mm fox's/rock shox's on their previous gen hecklers...i'm running a 140mm 32 vanilla on my 05 heckler, and it's great...perfect height....climbs awesome, and it's not squirly at all....oh yeah, and what kinda fork did you have before, and what the hell did the LBS do to mess it up?

·
Registered
785 Posts
wait i dont understand....a bearing was left inside your headtube? so did it wear down your steerer tube? you say you need to have that look at AS WELL....well what happened initially to ruin the fork?

·
I fix choppers
993 Posts
You can run up to a 160mm with no problem. The Pike is a terrific fork but felt overwhelmed to me on some of the really hairy stuff. Following that, I ran an '06 Z1 light (150mm of awesome) and now a '07 Lyrik U-turn (160mm of burl). If you stay on the more tame side of the fence with yr rides go w/ less travel to give you a quicker more XC-feel (lighter weight, too). Otherwise go big for going big. :devil:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Pike U-Turn

·
Registered
751 Posts
HELLBELLY said:
You can run up to a 160mm with no problem. The Pike is a terrific fork but felt overwhelmed to me on some of the really hairy stuff. Following that, I ran an '06 Z1 light (150mm of awesome) and now a '07 Lyrik U-turn (160mm of burl). If you stay on the more tame side of the fence with yr rides go w/ less travel to give you a quicker more XC-feel (lighter weight, too). Otherwise go big for going big. :devil:
I have a 03 Heckler. I haven't tried a pike, but I run Marz AMSL1 which is adjustable from 120 to 160. I'll usually ride it at about 145-150. 160 is a little too tall for my everyday riding, but use it for shuttle or lift DH runs.

Depending on the type of riding you do and how your heckler is built, why not look at the Talas 36? The 36 would require a 20mm front hub though. Just depends on what/how you usually ride.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
damage

the bearing tore into my steerer tube, so they were going to replace all that but I'm going to take the deal on a new fork. The bearing also tore into my headtube which is I still need to have looked at by Santa Cruz.

·
I fix choppers
993 Posts
SCuheckler88 said:
the bearing tore into my steerer tube, so they were going to replace all that but I'm going to take the deal on a new fork. The bearing also tore into my headtube which is I still need to have looked at by Santa Cruz.
I am not sure what you are talking about. What bearing; from the headset? I would imagine you would have to take a pretty bad crash or a real knucklehead mechanic to have that mess up yr headtube. I cannot recall there being any bearings anywhere near the crown of any forks I have seen other than the headset ones. :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.