Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, just wondering whether anybody in oz does fork and/or shock tuning commercially, like PUSH Industries in the states?? the way everybody on MTBR who's had their gear PUSH'ed talks, its the best thing since sliced bread
steve

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
There aren't any dedicated businesses like PUSH that I know of, although I have heard of a few shops with employees that can do some pretty serious tuning for customers.

The only bloke I can think of is Mark "Bear" Bradley from Dirtworks.

http://www.dirtworks.com.au

He has been involved with MX suspension for over 20 years, and builds his own DH frames too. Not sure if he does anything like PUSH, but I'm sure he could get you set up or modify your shock / fork for you.

Just a thought.

Dave.

·
Riding dirt since 1970
593 Posts
Buy a Zokie...

whippet said:
hey guys, just wondering whether anybody in oz does fork and/or shock tuning commercially, like PUSH Industries in the states?? the way everybody on MTBR who's had their gear PUSH'ed talks, its the best thing since sliced bread
steve
...and spend the saved cash on a custom wheelset or something. :)

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Buy a Zokie... ...and spend the saved cash on a custom wheelset or something.
Get back in your box!! :D

Steve just out of curiosity, what's your current bike / shock / fork set up??

And what are you feeling / not feeling or want done. Or are you just wondering if there's someone like PUSH that can make what you've got even better! :D

Dave.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
curiosity killed the cat

Low_Rider said:
Get back in your box!! :D

Steve just out of curiosity, what's your current bike / shock / fork set up??

And what are you feeling / not feeling or want done. Or are you just wondering if there's someone like PUSH that can make what you've got even better! :D

Dave.
cheers for the reply dave, yeah i'm only really curious about the custom tuning. i've just read nothing but praise about the PUSH work, with even weekend warriors (like me) noticing a real difference.

current bike is a month old mongoose teocali (talas up front, RP3 at back) which i love, and i certainly wouldn't be touching the forks or shock til the warranty year is up, but always looking for that little bit extra.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
what's the obsession with "custom" tuning?

Not being rude, but which adjustments can't you do yourself? Most decent forks have all the adjustments you need : spring weight, rebound, compression. Better ones will have one or more of the following: high and low speed compression damping, spv or similar, lock-out blow-off threshold, positive and negative air chambers.

I think a lot of people are trying to compensate for lower quality forks with limited adjustments by getting them "tuned", or just jumping on the band wagon to be cool.

I second that Bear at dirtworks knows his stuff, but I bet his advice will be "get a fox something-or-other", which will have all the bells and whistles to make those adjustments yourself in all their multitude at home - for free.

I am a firm believer that modern, high-end forks and shocks have all the available technology to adjust them effectively for their intended riding style.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you're right in that quality fork/shocks have got a great range of adjustment, but at the end of the day the manufacturer has to choose a range of adjustability for each feature, based (i presume) on what they believe to be an 'average' rider (ie weight, riding style etc). its fine if you happen to fall into the 'average' bracket that the manufacturer decides upon but what if you don't? and even if you do your particular riding style might mean that you want slower rebound or faster compression or whatever than your fork/shock gives. on top of this is the fact that different frames have different characteristics that mean a certain shock might work particularly well, particularly poorly, or somewhere in between (and i don't think you can always rely on the frame manufacturer to choose one of the 'better' performers).

i agree that some people who've had their suspension tuned probably fall into the jumping on the bandwagon category, but i certainly don't believe even close to the majority do, nor do i believe that people are compensating for lower quality gear by having it tuned - PUSH only tune fox stuff, and i reckon that the majority of people who get stuff done already have the RLC/RLT/RL etc models that offer maximum adjustability available from fox.

as for what i want that i can't adjust already? talas' are known for blowing through their travel quite quickly if set up for good small bump sensitivity (due to their linear nature) and thats something i've noticed already after only about a month on my new ride. from what i've heard about PUSH their tuning really improves this. however, like i said in an earlier post, i'm only really curious about this stuff and whether anybody in oz is doing it.
whoa, sorry bout the long post guys, thanks for the replies though!
cheers
steve

·
Registered
858 Posts
It's not custom tuning- but it may help you find what you are looking for. Check-out Angry Asian's website and forum the forum is particularly helpful for tuning and other fork / suspension questions. It can be found at www.angryasian.com .

You could piss around with oils and such yourself, and changing weight does make a difference. So maybe under the advice of Angry try it yourself the Fox Forks are a joy to work with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rattle PUSH's cage guys

I have posted to PUSH a couple of times to encourage Darren to consider setting someone up here in Aus. I'm sure there are many capable Techs who, with some PUSH training, could offer a service that isn't available to us. (unless you can be without a shock/fork for 3 weeks or so and prepared to get slugged duty when it comes back into the country :mad: )

A mate of mine had an '04 Float R PUSHed, and it was awesome, a totaly different shock than stock. Bear tried to help my mate out with changing oil volumes in the shock but nothing worked untill it was PUSHed.

If you guys are interested, send Darren a PM or email and do the same, The more of us who rattle his cage the better :D

cheers
leight

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
PUSH In Oz

Hey guys/gals,

I do have really good news! We are currently in the early stages of bringing PUSH Parts and Service to Australia. Keep an eye on the site for more details, and I'd be happy to post a follow up for you as well.

Yes, I know, details, details! We'll all that I can say at this point is that it is one of the most reputable suspensinon tuning companies around and headed up by a long time colleague of mine. :D

Darren Murphy
PUSH Industries

·
Registered
51 Posts
PUSHIND said:
Hey guys/gals,

I do have really good news! We are currently in the early stages of bringing PUSH Parts and Service to Australia. Keep an eye on the site for more details, and I'd be happy to post a follow up for you as well.

Yes, I know, details, details! We'll all that I can say at this point is that it is one of the most reputable suspensinon tuning companies around and headed up by a long time colleague of mine. :D

Darren Murphy
PUSH Industries
whoooyeah!! :D :D Great News!!

My DHX 5.0 coil and Pike SL's for my 6Pack will be in to you as soon as you're up and running.
Awesome :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.