Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking to get a Nomad after something happened to my RM Slayer today. Been eyeing the Nomad for my next ride. Just have one question. Thinking about running an 06 Fox 36 Talas (150mm) and a dhx coil in the rear. How would it feel with a coil in the rear and an air shock up front? Come on, Nomad owners, give me some input and convince me to take the leap to get what everybody has been raving about. Many thanks in advance.

·
one more time
539 Posts
Good question 1+...

If you do a review you will find a heap of threads on nomad suspension setup.

Im no suspension guru (TNC, Rogue and quite a few others have tried many combinations and hopefully give you some sound advice) but I can give you my 5c as I have had my nomad for just over a year and have tried Fox air and coil front and rear.

I have an 06 36 Talas RC2 150mm, 07 Van RC2 160mm, 06 DHX Air and 07 DHX5 Coil.

Firstly the 36 Talas is a great fork but it has one problem - many people (including myself) have suffered from travel loss from 150mm down to 140mm (in my case) and even more in some cases.

Im guessing you may already have the 06 talas but if you dont here goes...

I spoke to a mate of mine who is an expert and he found that the internal IFP seals can be damaged if the pressure is raised too high.

This results in travel loss - the only way to then get the travel back near full travel is to increase pressure which obviously affects the performance of the fork.

My mate managed to get mine serviced and the seals replaced and now the fork is fine - the reason im telling you this is because in my opinion 140mm is not balanced on a nomad.

With a relatively low BB height the one downfall of the nomad is bottoming pedals on rough terrain... any lower than 150mm and this can become an issue. So if you have 150mm with no issues then youre set - great fork

However Ive noticed the bike feels slightly better balanced with 160mm at the front but I guess its marginal and down to your personal preference!!

As for the rear - the DHX coil is a great option, especially if your a heavy bastard like me. I had the DHX Air until recently and at 220lbs I needed to have the main chamber pressure at 270lbs to achieve the right sag and ride height. Thats very close to the max available and it still blows through the nid stroke of the travel quite freely.

I recently swapped out for the 07 coil and I find it much better - feels more progressive and strangely feels like it has more travel!! My experience from reading the posts here says most heavier guys opt for the coil.

Hope that helps - your choice should be great as long as the 36 Talas is fully functional!!

Good luck with your decision - the nomas is a sweet ride... you wont regret it!!

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input

benzology72 said:
Good question 1+...

If you do a review you will find a heap of threads on nomad suspension setup.

Im no suspension guru (TNC, Rogue and quite a few others have tried many combinations and hopefully give you some sound advice) but I can give you my 5c as I have had my nomad for just over a year and have tried Fox air and coil front and rear.

I have an 06 36 Talas RC2 150mm, 07 Van RC2 160mm, 06 DHX Air and 07 DHX5 Coil.

Firstly the 36 Talas is a great fork but it has one problem - many people (including myself) have suffered from travel loss from 150mm down to 140mm (in my case) and even more in some cases.

Im guessing you may already have the 06 talas but if you dont here goes...

I spoke to a mate of mine who is an expert and he found that the internal IFP seals can be damaged if the pressure is raised too high.

This results in travel loss - the only way to then get the travel back near full travel is to increase pressure which obviously affects the performance of the fork.

My mate managed to get mine serviced and the seals replaced and now the fork is fine - the reason im telling you this is because in my opinion 140mm is not balanced on a nomad.

With a relatively low BB height the one downfall of the nomad is bottoming pedals on rough terrain... any lower than 150mm and this can become an issue. So if you have 150mm with no issues then youre set - great fork

However Ive noticed the bike feels slightly better balanced with 160mm at the front but I guess its marginal and down to your personal preference!!

As for the rear - the DHX coil is a great option, especially if your a heavy bastard like me. I had the DHX Air until recently and at 220lbs I needed to have the main chamber pressure at 270lbs to achieve the right sag and ride height. Thats very close to the max available and it still blows through the nid stroke of the travel quite freely.

I recently swapped out for the 07 coil and I find it much better - feels more progressive and strangely feels like it has more travel!! My experience from reading the posts here says most heavier guys opt for the coil.

Hope that helps - your choice should be great as long as the 36 Talas is fully functional!!

Good luck with your decision - the nomas is a sweet ride... you wont regret it!!
Yeah, I already have the Talas, it came on my rm slayer, which I got second hand barely ridden back in Sept last year. I'm actually quite happy with it, but no, I haven't measured how much travel I'm actually getting, I'm just stoked with my first pair of 20mm thru set of forks, the difference in manuvering and steering is amazing, and that's compared with my old 04 Talas rlc 32. Anyways, I'm going to measure it tomorrow and see if it's defective or not. Also I'm running an rp3 in the rear and I find it to blow through the mid stroke too quickly. I'm light, 160lbs max with gear, it's just my lack of skills that make me ride like ****. Also the terrain around here, er, it's badass. I'm the only person riding a bike offroad within a 400km radius or so and my sometime riding partner who spends part of his season here told me that coil is definitely the way to go for around these parts. If the 36 is a no go, then I've to go with the new Marz 66, which I've heard good things about as well, plus with the extra 30mm will come in handy for the horse rutted trails that I normally have to ride to get to the better stuff around here. Anyways, I'm still a few days and 2000km from getting a new bike, so I can think about it. The only little thing holding me back from getting a Nomad, is, um, being not in the best of financial circumstances. But oh yes, I know it's all worth it. Thanks again for your reply. That helps out a lot, since now I have to figure how many beers I have to cut back in order to get the proper forks to go with such a beautiful piece of art. Stay safe.

·
one more time
539 Posts
pleasure mate - and good luck with the savings plan!!

yeah i noticed a huge difference with the 20mm though axle also.

anyway - no reason why you couldnt set it up with your current fork and make the change later??

anyway - sounds like youre riding soem serious terrain which suits the nomad!! where are you based?

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
benzology72 said:
pleasure mate - and good luck with the savings plan!!

yeah i noticed a huge difference with the 20mm though axle also.

anyway - no reason why you couldnt set it up with your current fork and make the change later??

anyway - sounds like youre riding soem serious terrain which suits the nomad!! where are you based?
Yeah, I suppose I can set up with what I have right now. The only problem is that the nearest bike shop around here is 1500km away, that's in a straight line as measured out on Google Earth. So I'm going to try to get my setup right the first time around. Plus I'll love to throw the 36 on my Dekerf Implant, my mandatory ht. I'm based in Dali, Yunnan, China right now, yeah, big hills around here, there's a 4000m peak in my backyard, literally. If you have google earth, check out these coordinates... 25°41'51.83"N, 100° 9'1.20"E.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
benz...good info. The only thing I'd add is on the OP's question about air/coil pairing up between the front and rear suspension is that there really isn't an issue if the fork and shock are set up properly for the bike, rider, and intended use...but then that's important regardless of the spring meduim, isn't it.

benz is so right on the issue of using a relatively short fork on a Nomad...pedal-smack-city in rocky, ledgy terrain. 1+1, if you end up having to use a 66 or Van 36, you won't be disappointed IMO.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think that this is a terrible setup and it has nothing to do with air and coil mismatch. The talas is very linear, the coil shock will be very progressive on the nomad. Also the talas is light duty and the dhx coil is heavier duty. Think racing slicks on the front of your car and swampers on the rear, just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Before I got my Nomad I tried one all air and all spring. I liked both. I liked the 36 van a little more but the TAlas was very good too. I ended up with a Dhx 5 pushed in back and a Z1 light up front. I like this combo but wish my Z1 was 170mm not 150. I think if you are going to go air/coil combo you should have the DHX air in back and 36 Van or 66rc2x, 66sl-air up front. TNC is very right about peddle smack on lower Forks. Dont go lower than an adjustable 150mm up front. If you get a new 66sl which this and the 36Van I think are the best forks for this bike. The 66sl is adjustable from 170 to 140mm. My Z1 light is cutting it close but it works for me.
I realy like the way the Nomad Rides, handles and lands.
Good luck,
M.C.tigre
P.S. The Dhx 5 Pushed is incredible and get some Syncros Magnisium Mentals, they really stick for flat peddles.
Damn, I need to post my Bike

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Love my current setup! Fox TALAS in the front, and DHX-5 ti coil in the back.

With the Kenda Small Block tires and 50mm stem, my Nomad climbs like a mountain goat, and decends like a slotcar on steroids! Yes the TALAS is very linear, but light and waaaay manuverable. The shock combo works well for SoCal trails. The "flick factor" is the funnest part!

Attachments

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Mudd, I've heard you mention those Kenda Smallblock tires before. I'm really surprised you get quality traction with those tires. Just speculating from that pic, that trail surface looks fast and potentially loose...similar to what we have here in rocky sections of west Texas. From the looks of that tread design, I wouldn't think those tires would work well on anything but a more buff, hardpacked trail. Just speculating here, as I haven't tried them, but they sure look like a small, low knob tire which usually isn't the best for hardpack that is covered by a layer of scrabbly, sketchy gravel and rocks. Then again, maybe that pic isn't really representative of your overall trail surface?

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
1x1, did you buy that fork with a front wheel from me? I sold it to some guy in Seattle with a Slayer. I'm wondering if that's you. I miss that fork...

My 2 cents: if I were to build a new Nomad right now, I'd probably do a DHX-C and Van 36 combo. Then mostly XC/Trail parts with a nice AM wheelset. Excuse me while I go day dream my build...

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
scruffylooking, er, no. I got my slayer off a friend in Calgary. It came with the fork. I just took it off and put it on my Dekerf Implant. She looks hot now.
Yeah, I think coil is the way to go for a nomad. No sense trying to save a few grams. I like the weigh on the way down, plus most of the trails I do are too steep to pedal up anyways, so pushing is the rule almost. Only thing I'll do different from you is maybe put an 07 Marz66 up front. I heard that they're pullluusssh. And I have the parts off my slayer for the rest, maybe just a stronger wheelset and shorter stem.
BTW, does anybody have had any pivot/bearing problems with their Nomad?

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
TNC said:
Mudd, I've heard you mention those Kenda Smallblock tires before. I'm really surprised you get quality traction with those tires. Just speculating from that pic, that trail surface looks fast and potentially loose...similar to what we have here in rocky sections of west Texas. From the looks of that tread design, I wouldn't think those tires would work well on anything but a more buff, hardpacked trail. Just speculating here, as I haven't tried them, but they sure look like a small, low knob tire which usually isn't the best for hardpack that is covered by a layer of scrabbly, sketchy gravel and rocks. Then again, maybe that pic isn't really representative of your overall trail surface?
After seeing a review in Decline magazine, I went ahead a got those.

I was pleasently surprised at that tire! It is a real light and fast roller, and very, very grippy! I've had a few of my riding buddies try it out and they too said: "Dang". Kenda did well in that design. You gotta try 'em!

The trail pictured is mostly hardpacked, with loose rubley sections including banked switchbacks. Pretty much as you described.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Mr. Mudd,

Why the Ti spring? IMO...the $$ spent on a Ti spring would be better spent on a PUSH mod or other custom tuned damper. I understand the fashion bling factor but ride quality should always come first.

To the OP - get a 66SL and the DHX coil. You can always get the DHX PUSH'd at some point down the line.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Wait a minute, SS...

SSINGA said:
Mr. Mudd,

Why the Ti spring? IMO...the $$ spent on a Ti spring would be better spent on a PUSH mod or other custom tuned damper. I understand the fashion bling factor but ride quality should always come first.

To the OP - get a 66SL and the DHX coil. You can always get the DHX PUSH'd at some point down the line.
You're dissin' someone for buying a Ti spring, and you're running around buying CCDB shocks by the crate? That's kinda pot-kettle-black, ain't it? I mean c'mon...most of us are just scraping by around here with our chromoly hardtails with RS Jett forks, and here you come around flaunting your high-end hardware and bashing some poor guy who bought a Ti spring...Oh the humanity!:rolleyes:

Tee, hee, hee.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
TNC said:
You're dissin' someone for buying a Ti spring, and you're running around buying CCDB shocks by the crate? That's kinda pot-kettle-black, ain't it? .
I know you're funnin' TNC and I also know you have waaaaaaaay more rear shocks than I do.

TNC said:
I mean c'mon...most of us are just scraping by around here with our chromoly hardtails with RS Jett forks,
You can't blame me because ya'll bought an inferior Santa Cruz fame and build kit.
:ciappa: :ciappa: :devil:

Bwaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!! (thanks for the set-up TNC) :D

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Oh no...I'm not kidding!

SSINGA said:
I know you're funnin' TNC and I also know you have waaaaaaaay more rear shocks than I do.

You can't blame me because ya'll bought an inferior Santa Cruz fame and build kit.
:ciappa: :ciappa: :devil:

Bwaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!! (thanks for the set-up TNC) :D
I swear...my best ride at the moment is my Trek 930 chromoly hardtail...and here's a pic to prove it. OK...I lied about the RS Jett fork...mine has an Indy SL...and a Thudbuster...but it is a chromoly hardtail.:D

Oh, hey...I finally got Bobby at Manitou to "make" some 3/8" shock eye spacers for the Evolver and they should be on the way. So maybe we'll have a dueling shocks review soon...CCDB vs. Evolver.;)

Attachments

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
TNC said:
I swear...my best ride at the moment is my Trek 930 chromoly hardtail...and here's a pic to prove it. OK...I lied about the RS Jett fork...mine has an Indy SL...and a Thudbuster...but it is a chromoly hardtail.:D

Oh, hey...I finally got Bobby at Manitou to "make" some 3/8" shock eye spacers for the Evolver and they should be on the way. So maybe we'll have a dueling shocks review soon...CCDB vs. Evolver.;)
Are those Biopace rings? :eek:

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
SSINGA said:
Mr. Mudd,

Sometimes you just can't pass up "the great deals".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.