Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new bike 3 days ago and every ride whenever the forks compress it leaves a ring on the forks. When i bought it the guy mentioned it had sat in the store for some time. Are my fork seals bad and should the shop be responsible for fixing them in your opinion. If anyone can tell there thoughts if the seals are bad or if this is normal, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Do you know if the shop lubed the fork seals? My fork will look like that for a ride or two after a fresh service.

If it persists...I'd ask the bike shop to fix the issue. The fork should have a warranty through the manufacturer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know if the shop lubed the fork seals? My fork will look like that for a ride or two after a fresh service.

If it persists...I'd ask the bike shop to fix the issue. The fork should have a warranty through the manufacturer.
When i went in and decided to buy the bike they just did a quick run through each gear and checked the tires and bolts. Im pretty certain they did not lube the fork seals as i was standing there the whole time and didnt see anything done to the forks. I called them and they said to bring it in, once i did they acted like this was normal but to me this doesnt seem right. Im not big in mtn bikes but know from experience with dirt bikes thst when this happens its not good and fork seals need to be replaced. I wasnt sure if the same applies to mtn bike forks?

·
Registered
469 Posts
When i went in and decided to buy the bike they just did a quick run through each gear and checked the tires and bolts. Im pretty certain they did not lube the fork seals as i was standing there the whole time and didnt see anything done to the forks. I called them and they said to bring it in, once i did they acted like this was normal but to me this doesnt seem right. Im not big in mtn bikes but know from experience with dirt bikes thst when this happens its not good and fork seals need to be replaced. I wasnt sure if the same applies to mtn bike forks?
Keep in mind that Not all mtb forks are created equal.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
It should not do that. None of my forks will leave a ring like that. There is a thin film of oil on the stanchion...but not excessive enough to leave a ring. The excessive oil over time will just attract dirt and start to wear on the stanchion.

The fork is a Suntour? I would ask for them to do a lower leg service and replace the fork seals.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just bought a new bike 3 days ago and every ride whenever the forks compress it leaves a ring on the forks. When i bought it the guy mentioned it had sat in the store for some time. Are my fork seals bad and should the shop be responsible for fixing them in your opinion. If anyone can tell there thoughts if the seals are bad or if this is normal, any help is appreciated. View attachment 1942045
It's normal on a new or recently serviced fork. It should stop doing it in a few rides though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.