Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever read anywhere to set fork sag while standing? For example, if I set + air on my Reba to 80psi, I only get 7-10mm sag while seated, but I get 17-20mm sag while standing. Thats a big difference. I'm shooting for 20mm, but at 80 psi, I'm already using almost half the air RockShox suggests (115-130 psi for my 175 lbs.). Any suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, after reading some other posts about the Reba, it appears RockShox recommendations are way off (alot of you are running 80, 90 psi). But still - seated or standing? BTW, it does not change shock sag.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
imo rockshox air pressure recommendations are way too high. i personally set initial sag while standing in the 'attack' position on the bike and fine tune air pressure(s) from there. not necessarily focusing on sag, but ride characteristics.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Most manufacturers....

sag recommendations are for the seated/riding position. However some folks prefer to set their forks up in the attack position, which is fine. The key is that sag is a recommendation and a starting point. From there you set the fork up according to the ride characteristics that you want. Either method of setting sag will work just fine. It's just that many agressive riders find that setting sag in the attack position gets the fork closer to the way they want it to perform.

So set your sag using the method that you want, it really doesn't matter. Keep in mind that "recommended" air pressures are just that and only a starting point. Once you have the sag set go ride! Take the pump along and fine tune it to your liking you're done. But do keep track of your settings, write everything down, rebound and compression damper settings, positive and negative air pressure settings etc. That way you'll have a reference so you can return to your prefered settings after maintenance or whatever.

So set your sag to begin with and fine tune from there. RS recommendations aren't writen in stone.

Good Dirt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.