Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building my XL Rip9, and am trying to decide on what fork to go with.
Anyone have opinions? Should I go with Fox 32 F29 120 RLC, Reba Race, Manitou Minute or something else. How about QR or Thru- Axle?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well if money isn't an issue then for sure if you have to have it right now go for the new RS REBA 120 with Maxle Lite, if you can wait till sometime "early" next year then do wait for the RS REBA 90-120 U-Turn with maxle Lite. While you're at it get yourself a good set of handbuilt wheels using a hub that's easily convertable between QR, RWS, 15mm, 20mm - I recomend HOPE Pro2s, excellent hub at a good price and switching takes about 5 minutes.

If money's an object, then pick up one of the close out manitou Minute 120mm TAs and get the fix kit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Which is preferable the Reba 120 with dual air vs. the Reba U-Turn. I'd be planning on leaving it at 120, so I don't need on-the-fly length adjustment. I have the impression that the dual air is "higher preforming".... any truth to that?

·
Bodhisattva
10,893 Posts
broz said:
Which is preferable the Reba 120 with dual air vs. the Reba U-Turn. I'd be planning on leaving it at 120, so I don't need on-the-fly length adjustment. I have the impression that the dual air is "higher preforming".... any truth to that?
There are no performance differences between u-turn & dual air Rebas.

If you don't change ride height, save the cash and weight and get the dual-air.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sorry, haven't ridden any of them yet, but if it's for sure you only want 120mm of travel then go for the non U-Turn version, it'll be lighter because of the lack of wind down mechanism - make sure you go with the Maxle Lite to take full advantage of it's stiffness.

broz said:

·
BMF
593 Posts
I went with the WB F135 a little over a year ago when I built up mine. I am very happy with it, but it is not the most convenient fork. I would say it is very stiff and reliable though. It has a good plush feel and works very well with the geometry of the RIP. If you either won't remove the front wheel often or don't mind dealing with 3 bolts each time you do (one for axle, 2 pinch bolts) then it is a great fork. It is not adjustable, but I don't have much trouble with the front wheel wandering around on me even on steep technical climbs. It is a heavy fork I think, so if your very concerned about weight you will want to look elsewhere perhaps.

I know someone running the new Reba 120 dual air with maxle lite and he was raving about it after the few rides he got before his season winded down. I haven't ridden that fork on a RIP, but given that it is likely a little shorter overall than the F135 I doubt you'd need the U-Turn feature unless you are really into tweaking your setup out on the trail. I think with the 120 you could set it up and forget about it just as I have with the 135.

·
GoCyco
359 Posts
fork choice

fljohnmtbkr said:
Should I go with Fox 32 F29 120 RLC, Reba Race, Manitou Minute or something else. How about QR or Thru- Axle?
I started with the White Bros BW1.0 - coil 20mm TA 100mm. Nice and stiff but not enough travel.
Then I got a 120mm Manitou Minute. Love it.
I haven't tried the Fox or the RS so can't comment.
But I would definately go 20mm TA. And 120mm of travel feels just about right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.