Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I am fairly new on here and my 2005 or whatever year it is Marzocchi EXR 105mm travel fork has seriously seen better days. I am thinking of rebuilding it but I am looking for something newer to replace it. I have been looking at a Marzocchi 44 and a few others but need all the help I can get.

I am looking for a recommendation for a comparable travel fork with a lockout feature (climbing the hills is more rewarding when you get to go down them.) I mainly ride road, grass, gravel, over curbs, down a step or two once in a while, and other surfaces that have some bumps.

My current ride is a 2006 Giant Ranier 21" frame with disc brakes.

Requirements:

Comparable travel to my current fork (something that wont mess up frame geometry)
Lockout feature (remote or on stanchion)
Something that will hold up fairly well
Can support a 225 lb rider well
Budget is set at about $300

Don't care about color, brand, or if it is last years model. Will consider a used fork in good mechanical condition, that doesn't require days to find searching the depths of the internet.

Any / all comments, advice, and whatever else is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been looking at a Marzocchi 44 LO, a Suntour Epicon, and a Manitou Minute. Has anyone tried any of these before? Are they a good bang for your buck?

·
Registered
91 Posts
IMHO you could spend the money on another area, such as education. Go *** myself? Grow up and gtfo of here.
Silly me trying to help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMHO you could spend the money on another area, such as education. Go *** myself? Grow up and gtfo of here.
Silly me trying to help.
I go to RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute), one of the hardest and smartest universities in the United States thank you. Put your money where your mouth is.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Why did you edit your prior insult to me?

Oh and by the way, being able to crunch numbers doesent make you socially educated.

I believe that you, Dr.Einstein shouldnt be asking on a silly forum for such vane subjects, someone as smart as you should be aware theres a search function, lol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks man. Would it be necessary to get another spring (to set sag and spring rate) considering I am a big rider?
I was looking for a new fork for my hardtail 29'er. I wanted to replace the XCM I had with something lighter, stiffer, and XC oriented. I looked hard at the Reba and Manitou tower pro and expert models. Eventually I went with the Reba, but only because at 240 the manitou guy told me I would need a stiffer spring. I could not find anyone who could order it for me. My LBS said no as well. So after factoring in the spring cost and the shock pump cost I figured the true cost of a tower pro was 430. Then I found a steal of a deal on a new reba RLT for $350 and hopped on it.

What I've learned is that any of the upgrade forks are leaps and bounds ahead of the XCM. Literally anything you buy in the $200-400 range is night and day to what you have.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Don't bother trying to find an online place. I emailed and called most of them, Speedgoat, Competitive, Chain Reaction, Price Point, etc and nobody could or would order it. Then my local LBS said the same thing.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Alighty. Well then is this fork a good choice if I am never going to be able to find a stiffer spring?
Maybe try calling Manitou - Tech support, should be able to confirm if they can sell you a spring kit, or which dealer can order it for you.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
you might might not need a firmer spring with the Manitou minute. It is a spring fork, but it has an air adjustment too so you can fine tune it to fit your weight. It is a pretty nice fork and at under $300 it is a pretty good deal.

A riding buddy of mine has one and really likes it, and I think it feels almost as nice as the Reba I was running. The Reba is a sweet fork, but are expensive and it is always hit or miss with a used fork. If you can find a good used Reba that woudl be my first choice, but if you want to go new the Manitou Minute is much nicer than the other forks you listed.

·
Save Jesus
2,946 Posts
You could cut the spring for a higher spring rate, smart guy.
I'm sure the engineering department has other good ideas for how to get a stiffer spring in case you can't buy one from Manitou.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts