Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Might have asked this question before but whats the recommended axle to crown length for 2004 Spot? I believe i heard somewhere 510mm? If this is the case thinking of running Marzocchi 44(507?) or maybe 2009 Revelation(518?).How would these affect geometry?
Is it better to go longer rather than shorter in length as i know a lot of guys run Pikes on there 2004 Spots.Running a 2004 Minute at the moment if thats any help!
Thanx Max

·
Registered
35 Posts
498mm

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the crown to axle for a 2004 5 Spot was 498mm based of a Fox 125mm fork

I have a 2004 5spot with a Fox 140mm fork with a crown to axle of 515mmm and like it more than the original spec :thumbsup:

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
MM is correct, however you could do a number of things you could find some 5.3 "rockers 2006 second hand or 5.5" rockers when they become available again hopefully someitme in the near future!

Then upgrade to a 140mm fork this will revamp you current rig quit nicely without having to change the shock i2i all Spots even the new dwl use 7.5 x 2.0 stroke shocks which is nice feature of of Spots evolution!

5.5 Rockers are the ducks nuts too ;)

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
If you're going to ride much xc with it, don't go too long on the fork without using 5.3 or PUSH rockers.

Some of the Spot magic will be lost. Push rockers solved it for me with a Fox Van 140.

Alternately, Fox forks in the 125 or 130 mm travel range should be absolute steals on fleabay these days.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah! Wanna keep it XC based.The Minute was fine but just fancied bolt through for a stiffer front end.The Marzzochi 44 looked good as you can adjust the length exactly how i want it.Just haven't heard much about reliability or performance yet?
Thanx Max

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did check my old forks which are Manitou Minute 2004.I believe these are 510mm axle to crown.These have been fine.These are the same length as Fox 140 and Marzocchi 44 and new Manitou Minute 130.Must admit Fox and Rockshox seem to be more reliable in the quality and action of the forks.First things first,though.The frame is getting a refurbish. Once thats done a fork will be decided on.Then a few new parts.Will show the results a few months down the line.Thanx for the advice everyone,its all been noted!
Thanx Max

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
My spot is a 2003 model, with a replacement 2006 front triangle. I am currently running a 2004 marzocchi Z1FR [130mm/518mm axle to crown]. I've got the original 2003 5.1 rockers with a pushed rp3.

Back in the day, people maintained that having a fork like the Z1 was "too much" and would rake out the spot too much. I disagree, and still do. The higher A/C calms down the steering, and aids stability. The only caviat is that you will notice the front end may veer off course on steep flat uphills, but a mediocre pilot will easily compensate.

I say go with the big A/C FORK!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.