1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
We get titles?
938 Posts
These two forks are totally different. I've no experience with either, but based on the descriptions, i can tell you a few things that may or may not be helpful.

The Tora is a coil sprung fork which means it has an actual metal spring inside. Coil springs are great if you're an average weight rider, but if you weigh somewhat more or less than average, you'll want to order an appropriate spring and have it installed. Coil springs are heavier, but once you've set your preload, you never have to worry about adjusting them.
The Tora also has the U-turn travel adjustment feature, which means that the travel on the fork can be adjusted whenever you want from 85mm to 130mm by simply cranking a little knob.

The Recon has an air spring which means you set the spring rate by pumping air into the fork. The advantage is that you can customize it for any weight, or set it up firm or soft if you prefer. The disadvantage is that you need to check it every few rides because air springs lose air over time. Also it's lighter, so this fork is a pound lighter than the Tora.
The Recon doesn't really have adjustable travel - it's set at 100mm; if you want to take the fork apart and adjust an internal spacer, you can reduce that to 80mm.
The Recon does have a lock out, which means you can stop the suspension from moving; handy if you ride trails that have long smooth climbs or if you spend a lot of time riding on pavement.

Finally, the Recon only has disc brake bosses, so if you're running v-brakes, you can't use this fork.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Quite a bit of difference...

actually. The Tora is a coil sprung fork that comes with the U-turn travel adjustment feature. Both forks share the same damper, Motion Control with externally adjustable rebound and low speed compression damping and a lock out. The Recon comes with the Poploc kit which allows you to set up the fork with an external handle bar mounted lock out lever. A nice feature if you tend to use a lock out frequently. Both have the floodgate feature which is an adjustable threshold for the lockout. It allows you to adjust how firm the lock out is and how big a hit is needed to cause the lock out to "blow off", i.e. allow the fork to move. A nice feature should you lock the fork out on a climb and forget to turn it off on the descent. The Tora is the heavier of the two at 4.9 lbs, the Recon tips the scales at 3.8 lbs. That's a significant difference and you'd deffinately feel it if you could ride one then the other back to back on the same bike. The weight savings come from the aluminum steerer and stanchions on the Recon, and the Recons air spring as opposed to the coil U-turn spring of the Tora. The other siginificant difference between the two is spring adjustability. The Tora uses the coil U-turn system as noted earlier. If you need a lighter or stiffer spring it will require the purchase of a new spring system that you'll have to install in the fork. The Recon, on the other hand, is air sprung, and simply requires you to raise or lower the air pressure to accomodate different rider weights, riding styles, etc. The Tora has the U-turn travel adjust, as mentioned, and allows for external travel adjust between 85 and 130mm. The Recon is adjustable between 80 and 100mm, but require disassembly of the fork and the removal or installation of "All Travel" spacers to change the travel.

As far as the Rock Shox "food chain" goes, the Recon is a significantly higher end fork than the Tora, and that is reflected in the price of the forks.

The bottom line is going to features and what is important to you. Both forks work well, the Recon is certainly a nicer fork, but more expensive as well. If your budget will allow it I'd say go for the Recon. If not the Tora will certainly do though.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
392 Posts
clutch_08 said:
i was looking at a fork to get
not sure if i should go with

RECON RACE 100mm
http://www.bikebling.com/Rock-Shox-...R-D-100-80mm-p/rockshox-recon-race-plsaqr.htm
or
TORA 318 100mm
http://www.rei.com/product/751101?p...-0A02-DF11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

what the difference between the too
thanks
Heres a really good price on the recon.
http://wheelworld.com/product/rockshox-2010-recon-race-w-poplock-7389.htm

Differences have already been noted so I wont beat a dead horse.

·
Registered
392 Posts
clutch_08 said:
Right now I'm using a dart 3 fork.
And yes I saw the price on wheel world that fork it's around the same price as the tora.
Thanks for the help guys
Are you upgrading for the sake of upgrading because everyone says the Dart's suck or because its limiting you?

If money doesnt matter than just do whatever you want though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i want to upgrade because the deal on the recon race looks like a good deal. and my lbs said they would price match them.
and also because people say the dart 3 sucks.
i dont have a problem with it it works.
but what do i know iv never used any other fork.
can you even tell the difference going from a dart 3
too lets say a recon race or any fork with motion control for that matter

·
Hoodwink
221 Posts
also have the same question, seems to have been answered, but i have another question between the recon race solo air and coil u turn is there a big difference? or just the ease of travel adj i weigh 180-185

·
local jackass
931 Posts
i noticed a huge i mean night and day difference being able to adjust it to your weight and style is reason enough to swap

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.