Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
see me rollin, they hatin
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so, i'm looking for a 29 hardtail as a secondary bike, especially for winter riding as to preserve my main FS bike in those elements. i was thinking something that normally retails in the 1200 range, but used down to 6-700.

well, i found one in my local classifieds, and it's a small, which is another reason i want to jump on it. wagon wheel bikes that are small enough for me are a challenge to find sometimes.

problem is, it has a rockshox recon, quick release ( i think 10mm?) and a straight steerer. This is a bummer because i wanted to use my nicer spare wheelset, which is a 15mm thruaxle. Pardon my noobness, but i dont suppose an adaptor exists. (?)

other issue is, it's a straight steerer. i see them going in the direction of tapered these days. So my question is, in the next year or two, (assuming i buy the bike) will there be straight steerer, with thru-axle 29 forks, or is that sort of mixing old and new technology? i dont want to buy this bike if i cant upgrade it to some degree. Upon my short research, it seems like they're all tapered, and the few straight ones, had quick releases.

thanks bubz.

·
beater
5,929 Posts
Is your hub convertible? A Hope, for example, is convertible between QR, 15mm and 20mm.

And if the frame has a 44mm headtube, you could use either a straight or tapered steerer fork. I'm not sure how likely that is, though. You're right; you won't find many new forks with a straight steerer and a TA, and probably fewer in the future.

·
B A N N E D
5,318 Posts

·
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Good to know they exist. The wheels are dt swiss giant ptrx wheels so Idont know about them being convertable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Another thing you can do if you want to keep wheels that aren't convertible is have the fork lowers swapped to accommodate the axle of your choice. I have seen some 29er lowers for 32mm stanchion rockshox forks around $120, but I am not sure what the cost would be from a suspension servicing facility or directly from SRAM/rockshox. It would be an ideal time to consider it if you are going to do the suspension service as well, as the lowers will need to be dropped anyway. It may be a different set of lowers depending on which recon fork it is, but presumably the cost still should be similar.
It may not be the best solution, but it is possible if you'd like to keep the setup together and use the wheel with a 15mm axle as well, and may be a cost effective way to do so.

If I recall correctly too, I have read a few people say SRAM won't directly sell to anyone and you may need to go through a repair/service facility like push, suspension experts, avalanche and so on, or an lbs too I suppose.

·
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that could be an idea in the future. certainly, if an adaptor exists like the ones above, that would be pretty easy. i'm very new in all of this, so thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would also prefer to use the adapters myself, primarily for cost, but I didn't know how much you were attached to the 15mm axle.
I sold the bike unfortunately, or I could go take some pictures or get whatever info you needed.
I'm not sure if I just can't see your post totally anymore or was edited, but I am unsure now of what I said in regard to 9 and 10mm qr axles so I removed it all at least until I'm sure I have a correct answer.

·
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, i did edit because i realized i goofed on the 10mm QR thing. apparently, somebody told me they did make a 10mm for a bit, so thats what i thought i had. It's a '11 Cobia.

if i enjoy this hardtail, and ride it more than i just an ice beater, then i may put my nice wheels on, which are the 15mm, rather than buy new ones. i'm assuming the current wheels are boat anchors and non-tubless rims. As somebody who runs pressures real low, (i'm a small person) i prefer tubless, which is what my other wheels have.

is this just a tube? and you slide the QR thru it? doesnt have any other pics.

Nukeproof Conversion Kit 15mm to QR | Chain Reaction Cycles

·
Registered
170 Posts
My bike was pretty solid, I wish I hadn't sold it to be honest. The original wheels were Bontrager rangers on mine. They aren't the greatest but worked fine, but they are heavy considering they are an xc style wheel. The hubs mine had were cheaper shimano ones, and my friend had the same hubs laced to the same ranger wheels and both of us killed the free hub, so it may be worth having a look at the hubs if you intend to use the wheels a bit, especially if the previous owner is a bit heavier.
You can also use a tapered fork in the future on that bike because the head tube size is sufficient if you run a different headset, so it will be fine in regard to being upgrade safe if you so decide.
Mine was upgraded to Bontrager rhythm comp wheels when I broke the hub and that made a major difference in the ride quality. I run low pressure tubeless as well and it made the bike ride substantially better for certain.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Nicole, buy the adapter cobba recommended from eBay. I used one for about a year until I upgraded my fork to 15mm. Dead simple to setup and works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts