Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but I do not have the time to spend online searching the archives for my answer, so any help would be appreciated.
I have been riding the 2003 or 2004 Sid Race, which is not much of a fork to start with in my opinion. I need to replace the fork. I am not into hucking or jumping, just like to spend hours on the bike. I would like the fork to be stiffer than the SID. I have the dollars to buy an $800 fork like the Fox. The Manitou Black is around $350. My question is; How much difference is there between the high and low end fork? The ability to service? Is there a fork you are happy with in between?
Thanks, Carter

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The Manitou minute is a much better fork than the Black but, not as pricey as the Fox.
Carter Taylor said:
but I do not have the time to spend online searching the archives for my answer, so any help would be appreciated.
I have been riding the 2003 or 2004 Sid Race, which is not much of a fork to start with in my opinion. I need to replace the fork. I am not into hucking or jumping, just like to spend hours on the bike. I would like the fork to be stiffer than the SID. I have the dollars to buy an $800 fork like the Fox. The Manitou Black is around $350. My question is; How much difference is there between the high and low end fork? The ability to service? Is there a fork you are happy with in between?
Thanks, Carter

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I love my Marzocchi Marathon. Many will swear by a Fox Float; very stiff, much improved damping over last year.. And, you could send a Fox to Push Industries and have it really custom tuned.

For a budget fork, a RS Reba is far better than a Black and just as functional as a Minute. But they're new and you always take chances with new products. I rode one for about three months. It's a good fork and performs well. I traded it for a coil Marathon for easier maint. and more travel. They are equally stiff. The Fox shox may be stiffer, I don't have much experience with them except for a 2002 Vanilla. It was stiff and tracked well, but the damper had issues.

As for features, compression damping is a nice feature and it's usually only found on $400-$600 forks(except maybe a Reba SL for ~$350). Platforms abound: TST, Motion Control, SPV, TerraLogic. I didn't use my MC that much, so it wasn't an issue for me. But you can see where your $$$ goes in that price range.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Carter Taylor said:
Thanks, Carter
It won't be hard to find a fork that's stiffer than a SID. Almost all forks are stiffer than that noodle.
How much do you weigh? Is fork weight an issue? Do you prefer air or coil?

You didn't mention how much travel, so I'm assuming 80 - 100mm or so. I prefer coil shocks to air so i'm recommending the Marz marathon S. It's a great fork. It has very high quality compression damping and is very easy to work on.

How much do you weigh? Is fork weight an issue? Do you prefer air or coil?

I notice a fairly large difference between high and low end forks...especially at speed. YMMV.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I weight anywhere from 150 to 165 pounds, depending on racing schedule and motivation. 100mm is what I need. I do want the lockout feature that the SID provided as I use it a lot. Have not had a coil fork for many years.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Push Industries should be offering new Fox forks with their upgrades adde. They are not cheap but are well worth it. I recently had my wife's Float Push'd, incredible the difference it has made getting it set up for her 125lbs. It is still breaking in, but is already very, very plush. The platform feature feels good and is adjustable to your preferance. I will be sending mine in the near future.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
A 2004 Marathon S can be had for ~$300. It is an excellent fork. If weight isn't an issue, as it is a bit over 4lbs. A slightly used 2005 Vanilla can be had for less than $400. Floats are great forks too. I wouldn't recommend a TALAS, I think that it is a way overhyped fork. There's also RLT and X series Floats, which are basically lighter, but less stiff versions of the plain Float. Manitou is coming out with R seven (I think that's what it is called) which is supposed to be as light as a SID and as stiff as a Black, I don't know the price.

Personally, I think that in a 100mm travel range, Fox makes the best forks. I run a 100RLT on my race bike and I really like it. I usted to run a Vanilla on my 4" travel bike and had a love affair with it as well. Coil forks are smoother than air forks, and so if you don't mind the slight weight penalty, ie, not racing, I would go with vanilla.

Finally, I am not sure how much you enjoy fiddling with your fork on trail. If you are one of those guys who likes to dial in ther fork optimally for a given section of trail, your best bet would be something like a Reba with enough features and controls to fill up a manual. I am a set it and forget it kind of rider, so I don't have any use for these type of features, adjustible travel included.

_MK

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
My choices:

1.- Zoke Marathon S '04
2.- Any Zoke Marathon '05
3.- RS Reba / Pike (the former is only 115mm travel and the latter 140mm but you gotta price a new 20mm hub with it)
4.- Minute 1:00 '05 - Manitous are the easiest forks to service. Pretty straightforward.
5.- Fox Vanilla 130R

If you want to keep it under the 300 bux mark, your only choices are the Zoke Marathon S '04 (Jenson, Speedgoat and others have them for 275-280) and the Fox Vanilla 125R '04 (bobs-bicycles.com has some for 299).

My pick overall the killing-freaking good deal of the season Marathon S 120 '04.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
I'd go with a 100mm Float. Light enough to race on, but still versatile enough for general XC/trail riding.

After that, a Marzocchi Marathon S 105mm. Not the SL, I've heard negative things about the air version.

The 2003 Black Elite's are really good forks at 4lbs and $200 at Greenfish. They have great dampening (TPC+) and have adjustable travel 80/100mm. Probably disc only though.

A Minute 2 would be pretty good too in the 100mm version, as well, especially if you're racing on a hardtail. Crank up the SPV for races, ease off for trail riding.

In my opinion, its a toss up between a Float and a Minute, then a battle between the Marathon and the Black.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.