Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking mabey you guys could help me with my little problem here. At the time I am riding a 02 bumpy monkey and i kinda want to change out the fork and the shock but i dont have enouph money for both at the same time. I am getting a little more into drops and aggresive downhill. Here are my specs of the shock and fork.

Shock
Noleen Nr-2 5" of travel

Fork
Manitou Black Comp 80-100mm

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
thats a toughy. Have any long-term plans? because if you dont plan on having that frame for very long, i wouldnt dump money into a new shock. But quality wise, the shock is a weaker link, but getting more aggressive would suggest a burlier and longer travel fork.

being that you are gonna start punishing things more, i would think about a future frame purchase and make your current decision based on that.

Also looking at the geometry, specifically the 70deg head angle and 12.3" BB height, a fork as long as a 6" SC fork might make the bike more condusive to what you want to do and would be a good part to swap over to another frame in the future. However such a fork (and the abuse you'll be putting into the bike) will likely shorten your frames lifespan, perhaps even be dangerous depending on how strong it is.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya im preaty hard on my bike as it is. Its even in the bike shop right now. I have some messed up spokes in the back the back rims a little bent up, broken hanger, and I have broke the bolt that holds the cable on the derailer 2 times now. Ive heard of horror stories about the head tube cracking badly when you put tower forks in there. Mabey I should get on of those 170mm shocks that are single crown. And for my long term plans I plan to keep mountain biking. The only problem about living where I live is there is no lifts or anything with in 300 miles so I have to pedal ass up the trails first.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
LandonVega said:
Ya im preaty hard on my bike as it is. Its even in the bike shop right now. I have some messed up spokes in the back the back rims a little bent up, broken hanger, and I have broke the bolt that holds the cable on the derailer 2 times now. Ive heard of horror stories about the head tube cracking badly when you put tower forks in there. Mabey I should get on of those 170mm shocks that are single crown. And for my long term plans I plan to keep mountain biking. The only problem about living where I live is there is no lifts or anything with in 300 miles so I have to pedal ass up the trails first.
i wouldnt go more than a 150mm SC, both for structural and geometry reasons.

the soon to be released 66R or 66RC might be perfect since it can be 150 or 170mm (not sure what it takes to switch it though, but could be ideal for a future ride), or the z150SL which will be lighter. Read more here

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Good recommendations Z.

zedro said:
i wouldnt go more than a 150mm SC, both for structural and geometry reasons.

the soon to be released 66R or 66RC might be perfect since it can be 150 or 170mm (not sure what it takes to switch it though, but could be ideal for a future ride), or the z150SL which will be lighter. Read more here
Zedro has given you some very good recommendations about how far you should go with your existing setup. You need to move on to something different...or better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts