Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really think this is a fork problem as much as anything.

I delayed buying a Fisher Mullet because the brake rotor dragged when the fork was compressed, but adjusted fine when extended with no weight on it. The brakes are mechanical disks, and my familiarity is with my Hayes hydraulic models, but I have to think it's the fork twisting when compressed that causes this. I asked the mechanic to adjust them when I had weight on it, but still rotor dragging.

Any insights? Think I'm right that the fork probably has a problem like stanchions not aligned when it compresses? I know this is not an expensive bike compared to my others, but I don't want to be riding to my urban fun spots constantly hearing the pads on rotor.

This model has Manitou Splice Comp, and the next model up has Manitou Stance Static. I'd rather not take that step even though that model has some better parts 'cause the goal is a low cost beater for neighborhood and around town play.

Insights appreciated.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
bitflogger said:

I delayed buying a Fisher Mullet because the brake rotor dragged when the fork was compressed, but adjusted fine when extended with no weight on it. The brakes are mechanical disks, and my familiarity is with my Hayes hydraulic models, but I have to think it's the fork twisting when compressed that causes this. I asked the mechanic to adjust them when I had weight on it, but still rotor dragging.

Any insights? Think I'm right that the fork probably has a problem like stanchions not aligned when it compresses? I know this is not an expensive bike compared to my others, but I don't want to be riding to my urban fun spots constantly hearing the pads on rotor.

This model has Manitou Splice Comp, and the next model up has Manitou Stance Static. I'd rather not take that step even though that model has some better parts 'cause the goal is a low cost beater for neighborhood and around town play.

Insights appreciated.
It's not the brakes. It's with the fork, hub, or skewer. It's unlikely that it's the fork, unless there is a major problem with it. If your hubs are loose...or the QR isn't tight enough, you can see those issues.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Coupla things come to mind..

bitflogger said:

Insights appreciated.
Un even bolt tension on huib/rotor, bent rotor, cable housing lenght, cable routing and caliper alignment. It mau also be paint overspray on the lower fork leg not allowing the caliper to align wih the rotor.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
jrm said:
Un even bolt tension on huib/rotor, bent rotor, cable housing lenght, cable routing and caliper alignment. It mau also be paint overspray on the lower fork leg not allowing the caliper to align wih the rotor.
Oops...I missed the "mechanical disk" part. I completely agree with cable routing and length.

I don't agree with bent rotor, though. If it doesn't rub without fork compression..it shouldn't rub with...even if the rotor is a bit warped.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blue Shorts said:
Oops...I missed the "mechanical disk" part. I completely agree with cable routing and length.

I don't agree with bent rotor, though. If it doesn't rub without fork compression..it shouldn't rub with...even if the rotor is a bit warped.
Cable was the first thing I checked, and the brake was not actuated at all when the fork was compressed. I did not re-seat the wheel in fork, but would think if it does not drag fully extended it is likely stanchions not straight, or maybe loose bushings inside.

Than you for you insights.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Try..

bitflogger said:
Cable was the first thing I checked, and the brake was not actuated at all when the fork was compressed. I did not re-seat the wheel in fork, but would think if it does not drag fully extended it is likely stanchions not straight, or maybe loose bushings inside.

Than you for you insights.
Now its starting to sound more like cable routing/angle from the lever to the caliper. Also check the cable ends and housing caps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.