Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i'm ~275 right now and the forks that came on my Hardrock are not that great for me, I get alot of bobbing when i'm standing to pedel. It has Marzocchi MZ Comp (100mm travel). I'd love to get something with a lockout and easy to adjust. This being my first bike with any type of suspension, i'm at a total loss as to what to look for. Thanks for any input.
 

·
Steamroller
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
Marzocchi are Clyde friendly

Nocturnus said:
Ok, i'm ~275 right now and the forks that came on my Hardrock are not that great for me, I get alot of bobbing when i'm standing to pedel. It has Marzocchi MZ Comp (100mm travel). I'd love to get something with a lockout and easy to adjust. This being my first bike with any type of suspension, i'm at a total loss as to what to look for. Thanks for any input.
I think your MX comp is a lower end OEM fork and yes you can do better. I really like the better Marzocchi forks, one of my favorites is the MX pro for all around XC use. I had one on my old 26" SS bike and it is now on my Turner Burner. It has air so I can get it firm enough and the ETA feature reduces travel and gives about a 75% lockout leaving you with about 25mm of travel. They work great and won't break the bank. I had a Z1FR SL on my last FS bike, it was a good fork too.

My new 29r SS bike has a White Bros BW.8 it's a great fork too and locks out, but it is fairly expensive.

If your current fork is coil sprung, you may be able to get a stiffer spring kit for it which would help some. Most forks come set-up for an average rider of probably 160-180#.
 

·
Who's that guy?
Joined
·
233 Posts
I agree with Mattman. See about getting a stiffer spring first.

I have a Rock Shox Psylo and it was HORRIBLE for bottoming out. Now that I have upgraded to a heavy-duty spring, the fork is only mildly crappy. ;)

Actually, I am happy with the fork now. I can't really complain. The new spring transformed it.
It still (rarely) bottoms out on the bigger drops though. I am 220 pounds so I am not sure if a new spring would make as much difference for someone 275.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Mattman said:
If your current fork is coil sprung, you may be able to get a stiffer spring kit for it which would help some. Most forks come set-up for an average rider of probably 160-180#.
Actually, the forks I have replaced springs in had come with set-ups for 140-160lb. riders. I guess fork companies think all riders are little stick boys. Unless you buy an air fork, you will have to modify it for a Clydesdale.
 

·
Steamroller
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
Extra Firm is only 220#

Darkan said:
I agree with Mattman. See about getting a stiffer spring first.

I have a Rock Shox Psylo and it was HORRIBLE for bottoming out. Now that I have upgraded to a heavy-duty spring, the fork is only mildly crappy. ;)

Actually, I am happy with the fork now. I can't really complain. The new spring transformed it.
It still (rarely) bottoms out on the bigger drops though. I am 220 pounds so I am not sure if a new spring would make as much difference for someone 275.

Dave
You are lucky Darkan, because you fall just within the range for the extra firm spring. I had a Psylo and had to ditch it because even with the extra firm spring it was way soft.....I was 270# back then. Theoretically a coil fork is better in most ways except for the weight of the fork itself and the need to change springs to adjust for rider weight. As in the case of the Psylo though some forks have no spring option when you get very far into the Clyde weight range.
 

·
6'4"-6'9" with the afro
Joined
·
194 Posts
Fox!

gti2k2000 said:
Actually, the forks I have replaced springs in had come with set-ups for 140-160lb. riders. I guess fork companies think all riders are little stick boys. Unless you buy an air fork, you will have to modify it for a Clydesdale.
When I got my Fox Vanilla 125 RLC I almost killed myself riding with the stock spring. Upgraded to the stiffest spring Fox makes for 125mm of travel and I love(d) it. Can't say enough good about the performance of the fork - would rate it 5 of 5 chilis no problem. The only reason I say "loved" it, is because I am selling it (got the new Fox 36 -- now THAT is a wicked piece of engineering). If you're interested in the Vanilla let me know. I will be posting it on ebay soon, but will give 1st mover opportunity to a fellow clyde.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Nocturnus said:
The MX Pro ETA (105mm) doesn't look that bad, but a little tight on the money right now. I wonder if I can find springs for my forks and do that for now. Prob. be summer sometime before I could afford new forks.
Check out Alfred E Bike. I don't have the link handy, but, that's where I got my last spring.
 

·
Slower than you...
Joined
·
113 Posts
Nocturnus said:
Ok, i'm ~275 right now and the forks that came on my Hardrock are not that great for me, I get alot of bobbing when i'm standing to pedel. It has Marzocchi MZ Comp (100mm travel). I'd love to get something with a lockout and easy to adjust. This being my first bike with any type of suspension, i'm at a total loss as to what to look for. Thanks for any input.
At the risk of sounding like the retro-grouch I am, I'll offer this:


No more bottoming out - it's definitely the most cost effective option out there.

tdh
 

·
Who's that guy?
Joined
·
233 Posts
tdhood said:
No more bottoming out - it's definitely the most cost effective option out there.
Or you could say it's permanently bottomed out. I have an old Rock Shox that is the same way. :D
 

·
Steamroller
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
just sell some stuff!

Nocturnus said:
Well, I'm thinking i'll get the MX Pro ETA... Looks like im gonna be doing some saving of the cash.
If you are like probably 95% of Americans you have a lot of junk you don't use cluttering up the garage, basement, junk room, etc. Get busy and sell it on ebay. You may be suprised how quickly you can raise enough to buy a nice fork, or a whole bike for that matter. I've bought three bikes in the last 6 months that way. If you are married it goes over better than raiding the checking or savings accounts, just buy her something too ;)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top