Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rigid hard tail and have often considered adding a suspension fork to it but it's old school QR hubs. It's a 2014 Soma B side V4 so it can accept a tapered fork. The wheels are Hope hubs Pro 4 EVO so I believe I can buy end caps for the front for a fork with a through axle if needed. Just wondering what's available for a bike like this that's more than just a pogo stick but under $500 as well. I don't want a cheap fork but don't think a $1000 fork is necessary either. The thing I like about rigid is low weight and no maintenance but as I get older it might be nice to have options.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can install any 100 to 120mm travel 650b fork, straight or tapered steerer, in that frame.

A Manitou Markhor can be adjusted to either 100 or 120mm, with a 650b straight steerer it has QR dropouts that fit your current wheel endcaps, and with the Manitou M30 and R7's ABS+ damper upgrade you are under $350 for a well damped fork that's more than adequate for that bike.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Kiwibaconator said:
You can install any 100 to 120mm travel 650b fork, straight or tapered steerer, in that frame.

A Manitou Markhor can be adjusted to either 100 or 120mm, with a 650b straight steerer it has QR dropouts that fit your current wheel endcaps, and with the Manitou M30 and R7's ABS+ damper upgrade you are under $350 for a well damped fork that's more than adequate for that bike.
I know a tapered steerer as well as a through axle give you more stiffness. How much difference would you notice with a QR and straight steerer with this bike. I mean if it was you with this bike, which fork option would you buy. Also what about Rock Shox.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I know a tapered steerer as well as a through axle give you more stiffness. How much difference would you notice with a QR and straight steerer with this bike. I mean if it was you with this bike, which fork option would you buy. Also what about Rock Shox.
there is a greater stiffness but its more about compatibility for a fork. I run a boost fork with spacers for my non-boost hub. Limiting to QR and straight steerer will significantly reduce your choice.

·
ilmfat
1,313 Posts
I think Thru Axle makes more difference than tapered or straight. But most suspension fork options are tapered these days. I run rigid, myself.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think Thru Axle makes more difference than tapered or straight. But most suspension fork options are tapered these days. I run rigid, myself.
I really like rigid. It's less weight, less maintenance, and much more simplicity. But some of the trails around me aren't mountain bike specific and they can get pretty rutted up and chopped up from multi-trail use and horses. I'm not going to run right out and buy a suspension fork right now but I have been considering this for some time and I'm trying to figure out what's available if I decide to drop the coin.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to revive this but I'm starting to realize that 15x110 seems to be much more common than 15x100 on a suspension fork. I can find some 15x100 through axles but they seem to be far and few between. Is one better than the other? I really hate to have to redish my wheel in case I ever want to throw my rigid fork back on. It would be nice to be able to stick with a 15x100 but so far when I look at the Markor and Rockshox offerings in 650B, the majority of them are only offered in 15x110 at least by what I've seen.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Sorry to revive this but I'm starting to realize that 15x110 seems to be much more common than 15x100 on a suspension fork. I can find some 15x100 through axles but they seem to be far and few between. Is one better than the other? I really hate to have to redish my wheel in case I ever want to throw my rigid fork back on. It would be nice to be able to stick with a 15x100 but so far when I look at the Markor and Rockshox offerings in 650B, the majority of them are only offered in 15x110 at least by what I've seen.
don't have to redish your wheel on the front.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.