Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,121 Posts
Check out the sticky above for the Spot Setups Database and you'll get a huge sampling of what people are installing.

DT designed the bike's geometry around the A-C length of the 125mm Foxes, but there are also people running longer A-C Marzocchi forks and still happy with the handling. I've only run the Foxes, starting out with a 125mm Vanilla and now an '05 Talas and both are a great match.

If you stick to forks that are in the 125 to 130mm travel range you're in the ballpark, it'll just be up to you to research for features you prefer and pick a brand accordingly. There are quite a few threads already established that discuss this as well, so you can do a search and get personal opinions, plus I bet others will chime in praising their choice.

Rando

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
deeptrail said:
What fork do you guys have on your spot? Hows the Minute 2 or 3 compared to Fox Talas RLC. which one suits the spot better?
Not familiar with Minutes. The Fox Talas gives the same HA and SA as the equivalent travel Vanillas.

It's personal choice. I have an '03 Marz Z1FR on mine. It has an a-c that's almost an inch longer than the 125 Vanilla.

I think that the original Vanilla was perfect (as far as head and seat angles resulting) for a well balanced ride.

I tend to set up a bike to help with my weaknesses. In this case it's higher speed downhill (not as in downhill riding with massive jumps and drops). The longer a-c of the Marz is more forgiving on jumps and drops....even the small ones that I do. It really is a personal choice.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Forks

I've run a trio of Manitou forks on my 5Sspot; a 120mm Black (not enough AtoC and undersprung) a Flick ( a bit too much fork for my style) and currently a Minute one which was an early fork with the standard SPV which felt too sticky but the SPV evolve cartridge fixed that. A freind of mine had the same SPV experience with a Minute 3 that I had with my Minute One and he runs his Minute 3 instead of his Talas RLC on his 5"Ventana El Salt; it's a little lighter and the new cartridge makes it smooth.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I'm running an '05 Minute 1 on my bike....

deeptrail said:
What fork do you guys have on your spot? Hows the Minute 2 or 3 compared to Fox Talas RLC. which one suits the spot better?
It really is a nice fit for my riding style. I like the controlled dampening, weight, and post mount system. It certainly isn't quite as smooth as a Marzocchi but it is spikeless in compression. I am not changing it out for a Talas anytime soon. I think the Minute rides very bit as nice as any of the Talas's I have ridden.

Jaybo

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Minute or Talas

Don't know about the Minute, but I've recently switched from a Push'd Talas to an 04 Sherman Firefly 130/90. It blows the Talas away (SPV Evolve installed) in every single way, except it weighs a pound more.

Thought the 3/4" longer a2c would be a drag, but it really isn't at all.

From what I've heard, the Minute would be a great match for the Spot, but make sure it has the new Evolve version of the SPV. The older non-Evolve versions were a lot stickier.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The 125mm TALAS in my experience was very prone to brake dive when set up with the correct sag, it was nice and plush-as the Linear in the name would suggest. I didn't like the dive and tended to run higher pressures to help, but you then lost small bump response. The 125 version also spiked on high speed square edged hits but this is reported to be fixed on the 130 version.
The Minute 1 is the only version I have any time on and is a light, stiff, and nicely adjustable fork. As others have said the evolve SPV is a big improvement over the first version but there are lots of other options to choose from.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been running an 04 Zocchi Z1, 130mm. I've only been running it since January, but I feel the Axle to Crown height is a bit too much. It's feels a bit too raked out for my taste. So I've been thinking about one of the Fox Talas forks, just to settle the front end down a hair.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
BikerTex said:
I've been running an 04 Zocchi Z1, 130mm. I've only been running it since January, but I feel the Axle to Crown height is a bit too much. It's feels a bit too raked out for my taste. So I've been thinking about one of the Fox Talas forks, just to settle the front end down a hair.
I have a friend that was interested in an 04Z1FR, but they seem to all be gone. Supergo blew them out at $299...great price. He currently has a Talas. Would you be interested in a trade? I don't know if he'd be interested, but it sure makes sense to me.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I had a 05 Vanilla RLC. After about 3 rides I decided that I wanted more fork than that. I picked up the 04 Z1 FR and I am loving it. Z1 is great for descents and for technical ascents. Incredibly smooth and strong fork. I feel more balanced the Spot than I did with the "sporty" configuration of the Vanilla. The penalty is the weight. You might want to look into AM1 for about a quarter pound saving or if you're a light rider, removing one of the coils from the Z1 and using air instead.

_MK

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
MK_ said:
I had a 05 Vanilla RLC. After about 3 rides I decided that I wanted more fork than that. I picked up the 04 Z1 FR and I am loving it. Z1 is great for descents and for technical ascents. Incredibly smooth and strong fork. I feel more balanced the Spot than I did with the "sporty" configuration of the Vanilla. The penalty is the weight. You might want to look into AM1 for about a quarter pound saving or if you're a light rider, removing one of the coils from the Z1 and using air instead.

_MK
What did you do with the vanilla?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
I have a friend that was interested in an 04Z1FR, but they seem to all be gone. Supergo blew them out at $299...great price. He currently has a Talas. Would you be interested in a trade? I don't know if he'd be interested, but it sure makes sense to me.
Nope, sorry but I'm not one to buy used forks, there's just too much to go wrong in there. I figure I'll probably just throw the Z1 up on ebay when the time comes to sell it. I just have to wait and find the right deal on a new fork. I used to work in the bike business for many years, so it's just a matter of time before "the right deal" falls into my lap.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
BikerTex said:
Nope, sorry but I'm not one to buy used forks, there's just too much to go wrong in there. I figure I'll probably just throw the Z1 up on ebay when the time comes to sell it. I just have to wait and find the right deal on a new fork. I used to work in the bike business for many years, so it's just a matter of time before "the right deal" falls into my lap.
No problem. I don't even know if he even wanted to trade. The last I heard, he was going to have his Talas pushed.

I'm currently considering buying a used Vanilla. I didn't even consider the warranty (gotta check on that) or potential problems. I suppose it's because I've never had a fork go bad on me. Thanks for the heads-up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.