Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LBS dosent stock fork oil besides a bike store where can i get oil... Some where like an automotive shop maybe

And what kind of oil do you guys use?

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
pro honda works well, i prefer 5 wt. golden spectro works well to, but i prefer it for my moto

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
Kawaski..... golden spectro sythetic fork oil....I prefer 7.5 wt.

·
...abuse these forks.
270 Posts
Buying mountain bike fork oil is one of the biggest rip-offs next to selling dirt. Definitely get it at a motorcycle shop, you can get a gallon for what you would pay for 500mL.

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
dirtydownhill said:
Buying mountain bike fork oil is one of the biggest rip-offs next to selling dirt. Definitely get it at a motorcycle shop, you can get a gallon for what you would pay for 500mL.
very true

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
dirtydownhill said:
I'll have to keep that in mind

In other news, I elect DirtyDownhill for the best sig ever

·
shoes
262 Posts
I weigh 190 pounds and do alot of drops and stuff with my 66RV....what weight would you suggest for me? I'm thinking 10wt???

·
Registered
46 Posts
dirtydownhill said:
Wish I had thought of that.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
jamesdc said:
Its called golden spectro 125/150 and the 5 wt is 85/150 I think
Ah! Thanks! and I forgot, I discovered 5wt to work better in Zoke forks, so double thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
scrwscrnnms said:
I weigh 190 pounds and do alot of drops and stuff with my 66RV....what weight would you suggest for me? I'm thinking 10wt???
im 180 and i hit some ok size drops i use 15w in a totem air but i dont like my forks soft

·
Registered
222 Posts
how do you know what wt. oil to use? is there a graph or something to look? Because I just got a Demo 8 I with a 888 RCV and its super stiff for me at 148lbs (geared). A shop recomended a softer spring and thicker oil. What should I be looking for? Of course theres a lot of preferences in terms of riders style and I plan to do a lot of drops but race DH as well.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,782 Posts
Mudmanner said:
how do you know what wt. oil to use? is there a graph or something to look? Because I just got a Demo 8 I with a 888 RCV and its super stiff for me at 148lbs (geared). A shop recomended a softer spring and thicker oil. What should I be looking for? Of course theres a lot of preferences in terms of riders style and I plan to do a lot of drops but race DH as well.
softer spring or thinner oil...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I work as a plant mechanic and decided that our supplier of oils would stock fork oil. They told me the equivalent grades. I ended up using hydraulic 32 oil. Works out to be 10wt i think. Its been fine, because its so cheap you can change it more regular anyway.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I work as a plant mechanic and decided that our supplier of oils would stock fork oil. They told me the equivalent grades. I ended up using hydraulic 32 oil. Works out to be 10wt i think. Its been fine, because its so cheap you can change it more regular anyway.
Quality fork oil ain't that expensive. I picked up a few quarts of Motorex fork oil fairly cheap from a Motorcycle parts shop. For my bikes, it will last a couple of years. I will never again buy factory Fox or Marzocchi oil... waste of money.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sus13 said:
Quality fork oil ain't that expensive. I picked up a few quarts of Motorex fork oil fairly cheap from a Motorcycle parts shop. For my bikes, it will last a couple of years. I will never again buy factory Fox or Marzocchi oil... waste of money.

I agree i bought a quart of synthetic oil from my local dirtbike shop for 4.99 and the LBS sells a quart of fox oil for 22.99!!!

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
Red Line Fork Oil. They have a base oil that only a few oil manufactures use. It costs a bit more, but it has some amazing properties.

Less thermal expansion so your settings remain more constant

Less friction

Less foaming

Lasts longer

Even my Boxxers survived running this stuff.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts