Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I serviced the lowers of my Rockshox SID yesterday. Suspension servicing is one of the only pieces of bike maintenance that I had been outsourcing to bike shops, due to not wanting to deal with a bunch of oil in my living room, which is the only place that I have to work on my bikes.

Anyway, I decided to give it a try and it was a bigger disaster than I had anticipated. It took many many tries of threading, unthreading, and striking the lower bolts to get the shafts loose enough to get the lowers off. I ended up having to take the fork out of the stand to flip it upside down to get a good hit, which got oil everywhere.

Finally, when it came time to inject oil into the lowers, the syringe got stuck (think the plunger end couldn't handle the oil weight) and the piece of extension tubing that came with the syringe was too big to fit into the bolt holes, so a lot of the oil didn't make it in.

I decided to do a search on this forum to see what people were using for syringes and where they were getting them, and I learned that I could get a Mixmizer at Walmart. As it turned out, the syringe worked well with the oil, but the tubing that it came with was still too big.

Anyway, the bold holes on the SID sit deeper into the lowers than they do on a lot of other forks. So, I'm curious, what kind of extender tips or what people are using to get oil into forks with that design?

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Dont use the tubing. Its a pretty big hole, theres no reason. Even the huge syringes like the mixmizer easily fit. The depth of the hole doesn't change the method used.

You dont need to inject oil half way into the fork. It just needs to go into the hole. Small funnels even work.

I buy 10 packs of bulk plastic syringes off amazon or ebay for ~$10 shipped and they last me a few years. Works great for tubeless sealant too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont use the tubing. Its a pretty big hole, theres no reason. Even the huge syringes like the mixmizer easily fit. The depth of the hole doesn't change the method used.

You dont need to inject oil half way into the fork. It just needs to go into the hole. Small funnels even work.

I buy 10 packs of bulk plastic syringes off amazon or ebay for ~$10 shipped and they last me a few years. Works great for tubeless sealant too.
Actually, the syringe tip couldn't make it to the hole on my SID. It's a few inches in and the syringe is too fat. I wasn't able to find a funnel that would work either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Do you have a link to the ones you've had luck with?
I went this route with my last cycle of bike maintenance/rebuilds & the syringes I received were worthless.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yup, my lady works at DR office, so shes brings me home a few. some dont have a nose on them anymore, but a screw on type needle, so I use a piece of clear tubing about 3" on it to get into the fork led. works great, and cheap.

also Horse / Farm store can have them also.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I find that the black rubber piston in the typical drug-store syringe will swell after being exposed to fork oil. It'll work find when you're using it doing your forks, but in a few days the piston will swell and get stuck. No biggie. Just toss it.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
I find that the black rubber piston in the typical drug-store syringe will swell after being exposed to fork oil. It'll work find when you're using it doing your forks, but in a few days the piston will swell and get stuck. No biggie. Just toss it.
Same, but the ones I recently tried from Amazon swelled within minutes. Combine that with a super flimsy plunger and they were a waste of money. I still have a an OG juicy set that have seen DOT, mineral, various oils etc. and still function.

·
Turns right, slides left
740 Posts
Tractor Supply sells veterinarian 60cc/ml syringes with tips that are perfect for RS and Fox forks. Last time I bought some, I think they were $5 for a three pack. The plungers hold up to the shock oil and do not swell.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Same, but the ones I recently tried from Amazon swelled within minutes. Combine that with a super flimsy plunger and they were a waste of money. I still have a an OG juicy set that have seen DOT, mineral, various oils etc. and still function.
THIS... I use my old Formula brake bleed syringes as the plungers don't swell like standard syringes. Any that will stand up to DOT fluid will last. The others... not so much. Wash them with Dawn soap and water after use to prolong even further.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I have a Reba that also has the bolt hole recessed down in the fork leg. From what I remember I just used a generic syringe and some silicone tubing I got at Home Depot. Measured 5ml and injected it in the leg.

For my other forks...I just use a graduated cylinder and carefully pour in the oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.