Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change the oil in my AM 3 and was wondering what oil I should use. During first oil change I used the 7.5 weight "Marzocchi factory fork oil" which turned out to be lighter than the stock oil. So this time I want slower rebound and was wondering whether I should get 7.5 or 10? Also, what brand should I get? I am hoping for Golden Spectro, but just in case I can't find any today would any other motorcycle fork oil work as well? How about Finish Line 10 weight? I've heard that different manufacturers have different ideas about fork weight, let me reitterate: Golden Spectro 7.5 could be the same as Finish Line 10 for example, or something like that.

So my two main questions are: How big of a difference is there between 7.5 and 10 weight?

And how accuratly do different oil manufacturers label their oil weights?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Lots of good info here http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikesuspension.htm. Golden Spectro 7.5 is the stock Marzocchi fluid. You might have changed volume somewhat which may have made your fork feel different. Best thing is to experiment with volume as well as viscosity to find what works best for you and your fork...one guy's perfect combo might suck for you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Go to your local moto-shop and search for 10 wt cartridge fork oil. My shop only had Bel-Ray on hand. Works well. As noted; be aware of volumes as well. That quart of oil will last you decades - so feel free to dump out your 100 mL (or whatever volume you're using) and try 90mL, or 120 mL. Figure that probably runs about 10 cents in oil each time you make a change.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.