Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a choice of two discount Lyrics to go on my fuel ex 29er to replace recons : 150 mm year 2020 lyric ultimates but with a 42mm offset or 2018 Solo air RC with the normal 51mm offset . I'm figuring if i use this fork i will need to reduce the travel to either 140 mm or 150mm.

Price difference is £180 but after buying airshaft will be £130 .

I figure if i run ultimates as is at 150mm will maybe decrease head angle to 66 degrees , i've read a bit about offsets but still worried that it may mess up the bike as a lot of the articles quoting the benefits of short offset are on bikes with slacker angles than this.

Reason i bought the Fuel EX is :it was a very good deal second hand , i have good components to swap to the bike but not a fork and the recon RL does the job but its a bit basic and not very good with small bump compliance. My first choice would have been 140mm forks but beggars can't be choosers atm. so i've got these 2 forks that i got at a good price to choose from . 1 set will go back to the dealer.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a choice of two discount Lyrics to go on my fuel ex 29er to replace recons : 150 mm year 2020 lyric ultimates but with a 42mm offset or 2018 Solo air RC with the normal 51mm offset . I'm figuring if i use this fork i will need to reduce the travel to either 140 mm or 150mm.

Price difference is £180 but after buying airshaft will be £130 .

I figure if i run ultimates as is at 150mm will maybe decrease head angle to 66 degrees , i've read a bit about offsets but still worried that it may mess up the bike as a lot of the articles quoting the benefits of short offset are on bikes with slacker angles than this.

Reason i bought the Fuel EX is :it was a very good deal second hand , i have good components to swap to the bike but not a fork and the recon RL does the job but its a bit basic and not very good with small bump compliance. My first choice would have been 140mm forks but beggars can't be choosers atm. so i've got these 2 forks that i got at a good price to choose from . 1 set will go back to the dealer.
You don't need to reduce travel to 140, Fuel EX can handle 150. Different offset - you won't notice unless you are out of 95% average Joe riders (if you would be you wouldn't be asking this on forums :) Difference is so subtle that half of reports swear that they can feel difference and other half don't notice anything. Ignore offset, take ultimate.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My experience is that I can notice a difference. I prefer the 44/42 offset. Swapping back and forth between forks on a hardtail with a 66 degree HA (so it only get's steeper), (51 Lyrik at 120mm / 44 Manito R7 at 120) I preferred the steering feel of the R7. It's easy enough to change out an airspring if you decide you don't like the 150mm. My guess is you won't notice 140/150mm. The 44 will probably be a slight benefit to nothing.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The offset you'll get used to very quickly, whichever option you go for. The 42 will give a bit more stability whilst the 51 will give a bit better cornering. Personally I'd go for the newer fork of the two. I'd also get the 140mm airshaft to keep the geometry of the bike the same. The Fuel EX does not have the steepest seat tube angle and with the 150mm fork it could make climbing a bit more of a chore

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys . I'm just a bit worried about how much of a geometry change the increased trail of the 42mm is going to make , how many degrees slacker head angle , seat angle and bb height increase. Guess i need to look at a programme which will calculate it.

I think the changes from the longer fork may not be huge as the 2020 Lyric was meant to ride down into the travel a bit , and its going to be way more responsive than the recon that doesn't seem to do a lot on small bumps , takes a bit to get it moving. I'm thinking although 20 mm should be 1 deg slacker in practice it may be more like .5 degree .

The Ultimates arrived this afternoon , i have plenty of time to send one of the pair back but its just too tempting looking at the 2 new forks all shiny in the boxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.