Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was nearing the end of a nice wet ride last night when I started to hear a strange squeak that seemed to be coming from the front brake. I chocked it up to the mud and grim that had accumulated over the course of the ride so I didn't think anything of it. I pulled into the parking area and a guy that I normally ride with was just getting there so I pull up along side his car and stopped to say hi. He immediately says "Whats with your front end?". I looked down and didn't notice anything, but when I got off the bike I found that the left fork stantion was cracked almost all the way through :madman: I am kind of freaked out thinking about the carnage that could have happened had that failed on the trail.

Anyway, the fork was a Kona P2 29er disc fork and I don't think I can really complain about the thing since I have been beating on it hard for about 1.5 years. I certainly have gotten my money's worth and it seemed like a good fork (maybe you really do get what you pay for), but the question is:
Should I buy another one of these forks or should I try something else? I want something strong and reasonably light, but would much rather sacrifice a few grams for safety.
Does anyone have any experience with the strength of these forks vs Karate Monkey or Salsa Cromoto Grande?

Attachments

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
that's pretty crazy right there

put the Vassago ODIS fork on your list, too. It will quicken up your handling a little bit as well.

·
Registered
836 Posts
almost made it into a "Righty"

Haven't checked the numbers, but I would pick a fork that at least has similar geometry as the Kona fork since you've gotten used to the handling...

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
Allz I know is...

It's nice to see that the Zion frame outlasted the Kona fork. Sure, they could've been made by the same guy, but I'm going to take a bit of reassurance from this post :D

I've only used KM forks thus far. I'm currently using the Surly on my medium Zion 737, and it feels just right to me.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Contact Kona - I'm sure they will want to see that - maybe get you a replacement. I'm on the same fork with no problems (yet:eek: )

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
105millimetersofpleasure said:
Allz I know is...

It's nice to see that the Zion frame outlasted the Kona fork. Sure, they could've been made by the same guy, but I'm going to take a bit of reassurance from this post :D

I've only used KM forks thus far. I'm currently using the Surly on my medium Zion 737, and it feels just right to me.
The Zion has been a fantastic bike, no complaints whatsoever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.