Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find the right setup for a bike for a 6'1" 185lb upper 30's male. I am new to MTB and have decided to go the hardtail route. I would like to think the majority of my time will be spent on dirt trails but in reality it will probably be 50-50 split on asphalt. I like to take a ride after work but usually just hit the neighborhood streets. I have convinced myself that I need a lockout on the front fork. First salesman at LBS told me they are great to have. Do I really need one? If so what the brand with lowest price to get one. I looked at the Specialized Rockhopper today for $500. That is the lowest price on a name brand mid-level bike with a lockout that I have found.

The Alpine 650 does not come with a lockout so save your breath dogrunr.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
A bicycle is not that heavy so it can be lifted and thrown at the back of a truck if someone wants to steal it. The best thing is to keep it locked indoor or buy the biggest and heaviest chain and lock and secure it on an immovable object like an electric post if you want to park it outside briefly. *

*oops, brain fart... when I saw the word lock - the brain went on armed mode:rolleyes:

cannondales have one of the most effective fork-lockouts and easily accessible on top of the stem.
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6FS4.html

"The Alpine 650 does not come with a lockout so save your breath dogrunr." :D\

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I dont have lockout. Buddy does.

He stands up and goes to out accelerate me.

Without lockout (front and rear) standing just bleeds away all the power.

I shift down sit still and spin.

So far I can beat him.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
jeffscott said:
I dont have lockout. Buddy does.

He stands up and goes to out accelerate me.

Without lockout (front and rear) standing just bleeds away all the power.

I shift down sit still and spin.

So far I can beat him.
Thats because you know how to spinnnn :rockon::cornut: awsome :thumbsup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
i use the 06 reba too and the lockout feature is handy... it is like a cell phone, once you have it, you wonder how you could have lived without it... but before getting it, you were perfectly content... =)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a vanilla rlc and I use it... It is great for long climbs... even if you are not standing...

I also lock it out when I'm on pavement.

the only problem I have is I keep forgeting to unlock it after a climb..

I will think to myself "my forks don't seem like they are working too well for some reason" then it hits me. forgot to unlock the fork...lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Would depend on what type of terrain you are biking. I ride in the northeast, so it is roots and rocks and there are very few long climbs. It is all up and down and up and down very fast. So I rarely use the lockout at all.

But in some other areas you start almost every ride with 30 min. to 2hours climbs on hardpack. That makes sense to use a lockout. So if you have lots of elevation go for it, otherwise it is not that important, especially if you are not racing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.