Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Give'r or go home!!
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the "Tucking Under" when turning the manuals refer to? What does it feel like? With my new (taller) fork my steering feels like it has pressure to turn once you turn the bars. Is this tucking under, or is just the slow more "floppy" steering to be expected with a taller for. Any insight on these two issues and what the feel like is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
giverpig said:
What is the "Tucking Under" when turning the manuals refer to? What does it feel like? With my new (taller) fork my steering feels like it has pressure to turn once you turn the bars. Is this tucking under, or is just the slow more "floppy" steering to be expected with a taller for. Any insight on these two issues and what the feel like is appreciated.
Taller forks move the front of your bike upwards, from stock geometry. This increases the fork's "rake" (as well as altering the rest of the bike's static geometry). Rake is responsible for how the steering "feels", when turning, as well as how slow/quick the turn is achieved.

What you are referring to (feels like it has pressure to turn once you turn the bars) is what's commonly referred to as "flop". When you're riding, as you turn the handlebar the front wheel/fork want to flop to the side (or turn very quickly). Usually the effect is worse with slower speeds (many other factors influence this, though).

Experiencing more pronounced flop when using a taller fork is completely normal - it's the result of you playing with the frame's geometry. That's your Physic's lesson for the day. ;)

As for "tucking under" - never heard of it unless people are referring to Noleen CrossLink forks and their travel path or talking about shirts. :p :D My best guess would be, however, when discussing with suspension forks. Rigid forks (hopefully) don't "tuck under" anything. It sounds like the result of a painfull crash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.