Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, for racing or simply for a race-oriented bike.

For my hardtail, I am now confused as to what fork to get. I initially narrowed it down to a SID or Skareb and based on peoples' input, decided the Skareb made more sense. Now I am wondering if I should actually be considering a 100mm instead of an 80mm.

As I am new to racing (which I will be venturing into with this new bike) I was wondering if the default fork length for a hardtail (or short-travel FS) is 80mm. Is 100mm a bad idea? I am used to longer than 80mm and would be more comfortably I think with a 100mm fork. What I lose anything tangible that would actually matter? I know it will slacken the head angle slightly and there is the theoretical possibility that I may actually notice the front wandering on steep climbs but is this really a "practical" consideration? I could see going from 80mm to 130mm making a noticeable difference and changing the intended geometry too much but am not sure if 100mm will make a negative difference. Since this bike will be used a bunch for just riding with buddies....to include going downhills we came up, I wouldn't mind a wee bit more travel for those time.

Thanks in advance for your comments/experience.

Cheers

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
FoShizzle said:
well, for racing or simply for a race-oriented bike.

For my hardtail, I am now confused as to what fork to get. I initially narrowed it down to a SID or Skareb and based on peoples' input, decided the Skareb made more sense. Now I am wondering if I should actually be considering a 100mm instead of an 80mm.

As I am new to racing (which I will be venturing into with this new bike) I was wondering if the default fork length for a hardtail (or short-travel FS) is 80mm. Is 100mm a bad idea? I am used to longer than 80mm and would be more comfortably I think with a 100mm fork. What I lose anything tangible that would actually matter? I know it will slacken the head angle slightly and there is the theoretical possibility that I may actually notice the front wandering on steep climbs but is this really a "practical" consideration? I could see going from 80mm to 130mm making a noticeable difference and changing the intended geometry too much but am not sure if 100mm will make a negative difference. Since this bike will be used a bunch for just riding with buddies....to include going downhills we came up, I wouldn't mind a wee bit more travel for those time.

Thanks in advance for your comments/experience.

Cheers
Some bikes, hardtails in particular are based or build around using a 80mm fork. Others are flexible to use either 80mm or 100mm and the former that is based around 80mm will work fine with a 100mm fork.

Going from a 80mm to 130mm fork will have a noticeable effect on your bike, particularly with regards to handling and indeed on climbing. I am inclined to think 80mm is the way to go, but if you can get away with it use a 100mm fork. One thing is that if your bike has relaxed angles adding a 100mm fork over a 80mm fork will make the bike feel a little slower.

I think it is really personal preference. For example I had a 3.5" FS frame and used 80mm and now have a 4" Ellsworth Truth and it made sense to balance that out with a 4" fork.

Finally, some people notice bike handling differences with different fork lengths and indeed different fork brands with different axle to crown heights so you may need to decide on prior experiance or get a test ride if you can. Another option is to buy a 100mm fork and switch it to 80mm mode using spacers if need be.

Trevor!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Trevor! said:
Some bikes, hardtails in particular are based or build around using a 80mm fork. Others are flexible to use either 80mm or 100mm and the former that is based around 80mm will work fine with a 100mm fork.

Going from a 80mm to 130mm fork will have a noticeable effect on your bike, particularly with regards to handling and indeed on climbing. I am inclined to think 80mm is the way to go, but if you can get away with it use a 100mm fork. One thing is that if your bike has relaxed angles adding a 100mm fork over a 80mm fork will make the bike feel a little slower.

I think it is really personal preference. For example I had a 3.5" FS frame and used 80mm and now have a 4" Ellsworth Truth and it made sense to balance that out with a 4" fork.

Finally, some people notice bike handling differences with different fork lengths and indeed different fork brands with different axle to crown heights so you may need to decide on prior experiance or get a test ride if you can. Another option is to buy a 100mm fork and switch it to 80mm mode using spacers if need be.

Trevor!
Thank you for your help.

It is a Ionic Fury Ti frame that I bought (pretty much the same thing as a Dean Colonel) so probably 80mm is what I should do I guess but then again, I think the head angle was about 71 or perhaps 70.5 (I cant find the specs) so perhaps a 100mm wont be a bad idea as the angle is decently steep based on an 80mm. At this point, I am inclined to go with the 80mm Skareb but I would certainly love to hear anyone's experience with this frame or similar frame.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts