Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I ride, therefore I am.
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that some or most air/oil forks will leak if the bike is left upside down for long periods, like hung from the ceiling in a garage. Anyone know of this is a real problem, or have experienced no problems?

I hang mine upright to avoid potential problems, but was wondering if this is necessary.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It's True...

Tig said:
I've heard that some or most air/oil forks will leak if the bike is left upside down for long periods, like hung from the ceiling in a garage. Anyone know of this is a real problem, or have experienced no problems?

I hang mine upright to avoid potential problems, but was wondering if this is necessary.

About a year of hanging oit upsidedown caused the seals to fail and then leak. Seal replacement was done.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Tig said:

It's not true. At least for all forks. Have my bike hanging in garage for years and never leaked. Some people have said their forks leak, others don't. Some could be a matter of not properly assembled, others could just be a bad fork/design.

Give the make/model of your fork and ask for input on your particular model.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Some fork manufacturers have had a lot of trouble trying to seal their forks, on the other hand my marzocchi shiver DC and SC forks hang "upside down" all the time because they are inverted forks. Some manitous would "weep" oil when hung upside down...

·
otb club member
3,080 Posts
Not unless the fork sucks.

Tig said:

Hanging a bike upside down is not bad for the front fork, it just sometimes reveals a weakness, such as a top cap that doesn't seal properly or sucky seals.

It can actually be a good thing to store the bike upside down, because you will start out your ride with the bushings and seals well-lubed. When you flip the bike back up to ride it, some of the oil may be displaced, but compressing the fork a few times before your ride will put all the oil back where it's supposed to be.

-Chris
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

·
Premium Member
7,603 Posts
First, I would give Chris's opinion much more weight than mine.

I have been hanging my bikes upside down for 4+ years with suspension and have had absolutely no problems. All my forks are air/oil forks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.