Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a lower end specialized hardtail with disks and am interested in upgrading to a better fork. I weigh 240# i ride 90% xc and would like to go with 5" travel system will the geometry or handling change? i would like to keep the price under $300.00 Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well, you didn't provide a lot of information about your current bike, but many of the lower end hardtails came with a 100mm fork. Changing to a 125mm fork will affect the geometry and handling slightly, and considering that you're not a lightweight rider, the added stress on the head tube might not be ideal...

...it probably won't hurt, though.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
you could look at the manitou minutes that are on sale at Jenson USA (100, 120 and 140 models)...also at your weight it could e a good idea to get a through axle model. That will probably need a new front hub/wheel, but can add lots of stiffness...

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
What frame are you wanting to put this on?

A quality 100mm fork may give you the plushness you are looking for without altering the geometry beyond what the frame was designed for.

I weigh 260ish and just built up a hardtail with a Tora 318 Solo Air from Cambria. They come set at 100mm, but can be changed internally to 80mm, 100mm or 130mm by moving spacers around. I've been very pleasantly surprised at the performance of this fork and the air spring made it easy to set up for my weight.

The cool thing is that you could try it at 130mm if you want and see if it works out, but if it doesn't, you can use it at 80mm or 100mm.

It's on sale right now for $209 with a steel steerer and $224 with an alloy steerer.

A good performing fork is a wonderful thing. Quality of travel is more important than quantity and staying within the parameters your frame was designed for is usually a good idea, especially for 'persons of size' like ourselves. If you're on one of those RST pogo sticks, I think you'll really like the 318 Tora Solo Air.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kramnnim said:
Well, you didn't provide a lot of information about your current bike, but many of the lower end hardtails came with a 100mm fork. Changing to a 125mm fork will affect the geometry and handling slightly, and considering that you're not a lightweight rider, the added stress on the head tube might not be ideal...

...it probably won't hurt, though.[/QUOTE
Yes my bike has the 100mm fork from suntour i was shocked when you read the disclaimer sticker on the back side of the fork leg that reads dont jump or go fast downhill kinda made me want to change my forks out real quick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeffj said:

A quality 100mm fork may give you the plushness you are looking for without altering the geometry beyond what the frame was designed for.

I weigh 260ish and just built up a hardtail with a Tora 318 Solo Air from Cambria. They come set at 100mm, but can be changed internally to 80mm, 100mm or 130mm by moving spacers around. I've been very pleasantly surprised at the performance of this fork and the air spring made it easy to set up for my weight.

The cool thing is that you could try it at 130mm if you want and see if it works out, but if it doesn't, you can use it at 80mm or 100mm.

It's on sale right now for $209 with a steel steerer and $224 with an alloy steerer.

A good performing fork is a wonderful thing. Quality of travel is more important than quantity and staying within the parameters your frame was designed for is usually a good idea, especially for 'persons of size' like ourselves. If you're on one of those RST pogo sticks, I think you'll really like the 318 Tora Solo Air.
pogo stick is being more accurate than suntour actually trying to say my bike has 100mm forks i'll research your suggestion and let you know. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jeffj said:

And btw its a hardrock by specialized and where did you find the rockshox 318 Tora Solo Air for $209.00 Thanks

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on a Tora 318 coil U-Turn with remote Poploc for $249. I really lilke that you can change the length right on the trail by turning a knob, also has motion control, lockout, etc. I'm psyched. Did tons of research and it gets great reviews for bang for the buck. Can't wait.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Lots of good forks on closeout this time of year. I also recomend sticking with 100mm travel. A good quality 100mm fork will be very plush and help control the bike. I also recomend you have a look at jensonusa.com Lots of very good deals many high end forks have been reduced into your price range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.