Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Titus brothers,

Sorry for the long read, but I need some advice.

I have a 2005 Fox Vanilla 130 RLC on my ML that seemingly and abruptly crapped the bed and I'm bummed. It seems a bushing on the spring side went suddenly and gouged the stanction pretty bad and it's functioning on barrowed time. It's been a solid fork for nearly 4 riding seasons without incident until now. A bushing job and a new set of Vanilla uppers will cost me around $200 I estimate (maybe more) and two weeks off the bike.

Here's the problem. I would consider a new Fox fork, but the Vanilla is now a 140mm only and all Fox products went 74mm postal!! They are no longer compatible with my current equipment. I need a max 130mm only fork with 51mm IS brake mounts for my Hope MonoM4's. I don't want to replace my brakes or a front caliper and rotor since they are in perfect working condition…. And very expensive too. So, after four seasons of (ab)use, is my 2005 fork worth rebuilding?

Alternatively, I could get a new 2008 Revelation 426 U-turn Coil and $200 gets me half way to a brand new fork. I'm very interested in this fork because it would be an easy swap, but will the Revelation's performance live up to the Vanilla standard? I've been a Fox fork user for neary 8 years and I have come to really like their products. I have to say I'm very open minded about the new Rock Shox products, but I need some real world comparisons. I'm looking to my Titus brothers for some good solid advice.

So, should I get my old 2005 Vanilla RLC 130mm rebuilt (and 2 weeks off the bike) or go with something new like the Revelation? Again, I need max 130mm travel, IS brake mounts, and preferably coil / oil for my ML.

Thanks for reading.

EndUser

·
A Superhero Named Tony
164 Posts
Personally I would rebuild the vanilla if it's only going to be around $200. You obviously can't get a better fork for anywhere near that amount. I have a 2004 float 100 on my RX that I rebuild every year for about $20 worth of parts and oil. Rides like new after every rebuild and I expect to have that fork for several more years.

The two weeks off sucks big time but maybe you can get a loaner from a shop. Plus it will save you the hassle of having to buy a new brake caliper. Also, since the axle standard is in flux (moving to 15mm?) and they keep changing the a-to-c and the travel standards, you may not even want to carry a new fork onto your next bike.

On the other hand, I wouldn't listen to me if I were you.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks....

McLovin said:
Personally I would rebuild the vanilla if it's only going to be around $200. You obviously can't get a better fork for anywhere near that amount. I have a 2004 float 100 on my RX that I rebuild every year for about $20 worth of parts and oil. Rides like new after every rebuild and I expect to have that fork for several more years.

The two weeks off sucks big time but maybe you can get a loaner from a shop. Plus it will save you the hassle of having to buy a new brake caliper. Also, since the axle standard is in flux (moving to 15mm?) and they keep changing the a-to-c and the travel standards, you may not even want to carry a new fork onto your next bike.

On the other hand, I wouldn't listen to me if I were you.
Question?? Do you replace your own bushings?? If so, what special tool do you need??

The other option: I'm capable of gutting my Vanilla RLC and swapping out all the internals into a new set of uppers. However, If I could locate the proper tools for removing and setting new bushings in the lowers I might be able to do this myself with only missing a few days of riding.

Can anybody set me in the right direction here??

Thanks,

EndUser

·
A Superhero Named Tony
164 Posts
Quite honestly I have to relearn what to do every year. I buy the Fox 32mm rebuild kit for $15 (available everywhere). I have some fox oil and float fluid and follow a combination of the directions from Zinn's video, book, and fox's website. I'm not sure there are any bushings involved in what I do. It's mostly o-rings and dust-wipers. Hopefully a better man than me can point you to some free links with directions.

I seem to recall a trick with bushings where you use a socket wrench socket to tp press them out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think its pretty difficult/risky to remove and press in new bushings without the proper tool. Mc Lovin may be thinking of using a large socket to press new dust seals on.

I Don't have the Revelation but i do have its bigger brother, the Pike and i totally love this fork. I had similar circumstances in that i went from an 06 Van130 to an 07 Van140 as a warranty replacement...unfortunately you can no longer adjust the travel internally on the Vanilla line as of 07. It was really surprising how much the extra 10mm affected the ride, and not in a good way. Bike felt stilty and it was harder to keep the front end planted on steeper climbs.

I found a good deal on a coil Pike and have never looked back. The Rev is virtually identical except for somewhat less stiff (due to lack of thru axle). I will never buy another QR fork...MAXLE rules:thumbsup:

Anyway, i totally respect your desire to keep the travel at 130. Keep in mind that, for a given amount of travel, the RS forks have about 10mm higher a-c than Fox forks, so to get the same a-c with a new Rev you'll probably be running it at 120 (which is where is set my Pike 99% of the time).

good luck with your decision,
Thumb

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info...

OK... for now the back-up plan is to buy a new fork if this fix is too costly and or lengthy. The RS products look awesome, but I'd rather not put on a new fork since I might not be able to transfer it to my next frame... whatever that may be.

I found that Fox Fork uppers for a 2005-06 Vanilla costs around $130-$150 and one my local shops told me they can remove and set new bushing in Fox lowers for a nominal cost. If I can get a hold of a new upper, then I'm golden. I think I can get all this done for around $200 and change and little to no down time.... which is my biggest concern, really.

Tomorrow I should know exactly how much this fix will cost if I can locate an upper.

Regards,

EndUser

·
Chilling out
6,037 Posts
Keep the fox, get it fixed, borrow a fork if you need to.

Getting someone to replace the bushings that has the right tools is a requirement though, don't "hack" it - not worth it.

Good luck finding the uppers.

In '05 (or was it '06?) I had my '03 Vanilla RLC PUSHed, and they had to replace the bushings and uppers also because I'd worn them so much. Very reasonably priced, nice quick turnaround. Totally worth it. Of course, now I have what is essentially a 2 yr old fork with 4 yr old lowers. :D

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
I agree with Bear, send your current fork to PUSH, let them rebuild and tune it up for you and your good to go.

i1dry?

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thumbies said:
hmm...that's what i paid for my Pike, almost brand new :eekster: Of course, when i was looking for a fork, i was not in a hurry.

good luck getting your fork repaired,
thumb
I don't have a final tally yet, but the fix is going to be around $200+. The 08 RS Revelation 426 U-Turn Coil is $380 which doesn't include the heavier spring so I'm well above $400 if I go with that fork. The 08 Revelation U-turn Air is about $500.

McLovin is correct.... which I didn't initally consider.... is I don't want a new fork that I might not transfer to a new frame. That will be my action of last resort. So, the best option is to get my Fox fixed locally and get another 2-3 years out of it and not suffer any or very little down time.

I spoke to Fox.... If I send the fork in they said it would be a month before I get it back. That is not acceptable to me.

PUSH has not yet responded, but 2-3 weeks seem typical for that operation from what I've gathered. Again, not acceptable.

If I can get a set of 05-06 Vanilla uppers, I can get this all done locally.... most of re-build I'll do myself. I'll ride it until all the parts are in....

Regards,

EndUser

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
EndUser said:
I don't have a final tally yet, but the fix is going to be around $200+. The 08 RS Revelation 426 U-Turn Coil is $380 which doesn't include the heavier spring so I'm well above $400 if I go with that fork. The 08 Revelation U-turn Air is about $500.

McLovin is correct.... which I didn't initally consider.... is I don't want a new fork that I might not transfer to a new frame. That will be my action of last resort. So, the best option is to get my Fox fixed locally and get another 2-3 years out of it and not suffer any or very little down time.

I spoke to Fox.... If I send the fork in they said it would be a month before I get it back. That is not acceptable to me.

PUSH has not yet responded, but 2-3 weeks seem typical for that operation from what I've gathered. Again, not acceptable.

If I can get a set of 05-06 Vanilla uppers, I can get this all done locally.... most of re-build I'll do myself. I'll ride it until all the parts are in....

Regards,

EndUser
PUSH has a rush service with a 48 hour turn around. This following is from their web site (http://www.pushindustries.com/): They indicate that they can schedule the week of JUly 14th.

"PUSH Industries New Service Scheduling with 48hr turn around

How it works:

1. Start your order by either clicking on the "order now" button located in the desired service box on the site or by calling (970) 278-1110

2. The earliest available scheduling date is located in the upper right hand corner of the website and is updated daily. Service can be scheduled on, or anytime after this date.

3. Ship your suspension component(s) so that they arrive on, or before your scheduled date. Your work will be completed and shipped back within 48hrs. from your scheduled service date.

Scheduling is designed as a rapid turn-around solution for customers in need of regular service, or customers looking for our tuning services. For customers with immediate needs such as "stuck down" air shocks, leaking fork seals, damage, etc please contact us at (970) 278-1110 for order processing and scheduling."

i1dry?

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow!!! Thanks....

i1dry said:
PUSH has a rush service with a 48 hour turn around. This following is from their web site (http://www.pushindustries.com/): They indicate that they can schedule the week of JUly 14th.

"PUSH Industries New Service Scheduling with 48hr turn around

How it works:

1. Start your order by either clicking on the "order now" button located in the desired service box on the site or by calling (970) 278-1110

2. The earliest available scheduling date is located in the upper right hand corner of the website and is updated daily. Service can be scheduled on, or anytime after this date.

3. Ship your suspension component(s) so that they arrive on, or before your scheduled date. Your work will be completed and shipped back within 48hrs. from your scheduled service date.

Scheduling is designed as a rapid turn-around solution for customers in need of regular service, or customers looking for our tuning services. For customers with immediate needs such as "stuck down" air shocks, leaking fork seals, damage, etc please contact us at (970) 278-1110 for order processing and scheduling."

i1dry?
Was this service just added??? I was just on their web-site a couple of days ago and failed to see this. Well... this changes things a bit.

I sent them an e-mail yesterday, but they haven't responded yet. I will call them and get a quote.

Very cool service indeed.

Thanks for this great information.

Kind regards

EndUser

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Push that sucker if this is for real. With you in Alaska I'm not surprised you don't want long down time. I'm sure it's not lost on you that going this route will at least give you something to look forward to for all your trouble. Being you'll now be riding a custome tuned Pushed fork, as opposed to simply getting back to good. Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
EndUser said:
Was this service just added??? I was just on their web-site a couple of days ago and failed to see this. Well... this changes things a bit.

I sent them an e-mail yesterday, but they haven't responded yet. I will call them and get a quote.

Very cool service indeed.

Thanks for this great information.

Kind regards

EndUser
I'm in Toronto and I've had great service from PUSH. I called them on a Friday and received an Order confirmation. I sent them a shock for service on Monday (sent it next day courier) and had it back by Thursday that same week. I had to pay a bit more for the next day shipping charges, but it was worth it.:thumbsup:

i1dry?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.