Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems removing my fork. It is a Aheadset STS. There is a grey piece of platic and a metal cap over the top head tube. I cannot seem to get it loose. Hopefully the picture says more.

I cant seem to hammer it out either. Should i use lube?

Any help would be great thanks

Attachments

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
A few taps with a rubber mallet should move the fork down a bit, then tap the fork back up and the plastic wedge should come loose.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kelvin said:
I am having problems removing my fork. It is a Aheadset STS. There is a grey piece of platic and a metal cap over the top head tube. I cannot seem to get it loose. Hopefully the picture says more.

I cant seem to hammer it out either. Should i use lube?

Any help would be great thanks
It's the compression ring and like Homebrew said, just use a rubber mallet and hit the top of the steerer tube. It's happened on a couple of my bikes (really common with the STS headset you have) and the mallet does the trick. There's no fear of damaging the steerer w/ the mallet so you can go nuts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!!

Thanks for the advice guys. thing is i dont have a rubber mallet. I've been trying with a hammer and cardboard in between. It was a stupid idea. I'm going to get a mallet

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kelvin said:
Thanks for the advice guys. thing is i dont have a rubber mallet. I've been trying with a hammer and cardboard in between. It was a stupid idea. I'm going to get a mallet
You could always try rubber mallet and a piece of wood (from a 2 x 4) in between.
But ya it's easier to just get the mallet, just check your local dollar store.

·
Registered
55 Posts
kmltick said:
You could always try rubber mallet and a piece of wood (from a 2 x 4) in between.
But ya it's easier to just get the mallet, just check your local dollar store.
I just used a hammer with a piece of two by four, just be careful where you hit it. Also, mine had really been stuck, so even after I gave it a tap, it was still locked a bit. Needed to stick a screwdriver where the groove was and pry it a little bit before it came off..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
help

I just bought and rubber mallet and have been going at it like a mad man. However, it has not moved one bit. What cna i do now?
Cheers
Kelvin

·
Registered
55 Posts
Kelvin said:
I just bought and rubber mallet and have been going at it like a mad man. However, it has not moved one bit. What cna i do now?
Cheers
Kelvin
This might be a stupid question, but is the bike elevated? You aren't just driving the fork into the ground are you? You shouldn't need too much space. You don't have to loosen the steerer from the frame too much, 1/2 an inch should do. If it is still stuck, then it is bound in there pretty tight. I was able to pry mine off, you could try oiling it first. Try to avoid scratching up the steerer if you do try to pry it off.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I know, I know

This sounds like the obvious, but I've seen people do this. DON'T hammer on the steerer tube when the fork legs are on the floor.

Second, do you care about saving the headset? There is no logical reason for the compression ring to hold that in there so tight that a good wack with a rubber mallet won't send it flying to the floor.

Third, when you rotate the fork, is it smooth or does it feel crunchy, stiff, rough, or anything other than smooth?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have lifted it off the floor and the headset does feel like its grinding a bit. I also realised that after whacking it for a while, the crown race is loose. (the piece between the fork and the lower bearings?) But it is still not budging. LBS here has told to hit the sides of the steerer tube and the ring should pop out.

help!
Kelvin

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
finally!

I've got it removed! Before i put up my new fork, any good suggestions onw hat kind of grease to use?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts