Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 2009 Specialized Ground Control Mountain Bike that I bought out of california way back in 2000 and it needs the fork rebuilt or replaced.
I located a company that rebuilds only Marzocchi forks and sent them the attached pics before mailing the forks and they got back to me and said that the forks are not Marzocchi forks and that someone must have just stuck the labels on them.
I cannot find anything on them to identify them. Does anyone know what make they may be or know someplace I can get them rebuilt through?
20210524_093058.jpg
20210524_093048.jpg

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,970 Posts
Does it have any numbers on it, serials? Other markings?

It looks like a very low end fork, which usually means the internals are garbage and not worth attempting to rebuilding. The dropouts are quick release, which ended decades ago for any quality dual crown forks. The top caps sometimes give you some clues into this as well. More pictures here would help, like pictures of the top-caps and their markings. These were often common in a company's lineup. A suspension fork is comprised of a spring and damper. Many of these old low end forks only effectively had some kind of spring, no damper. They were not good. My guess would be some kind of RST fork or similar. Nothing mainstream and getting parts for a rebuild is likely impossible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it have any numbers on it, serials? Other markings?

It looks like a very low end fork, which usually means the internals are garbage and not worth attempting to rebuilding. The dropouts are quick release, which ended decades ago for any quality dual crown forks. The top caps sometimes give you some clues into this as well. More pictures here would help, like pictures of the top-caps and their markings. These were often common in a company's lineup. A suspension fork is comprised of a spring and damper. Many of these old low end forks only effectively had some kind of spring, no damper. They were not good. My guess would be some kind of RST fork or similar. Nothing mainstream and getting parts for a rebuild is likely impossible.
Jayem, thanks for the reply. here are a few more pics. I cannot find anything other than the pictured HL for markings on the forks anywhere. I suppose I am better off trying to find a used rebuilt fork as a replacement. I will have to research that.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jayem, thanks for the reply. here are a few more pics. I cannot find anything other than the pictured HL for markings on the forks anywhere. I suppose I am better off trying to find a used rebuilt fork as a replacement. I will have to research that.
When I searched for "HL" Fork this came up. Looks pretty similar.

·
furker
343 Posts
That definitely looks like the same fork. Does it work? What do you use the bike for? If it is just for rolling around the neighborhood, and flat easy local trails, just ride it until it dies. Maybe take it apart and clean it up and lube it up with Slick Honey just to keep it from corroding more.

If you actually want to ride downhill hard, both the fork and the rest of the bike have to go. Are you sure it is an actual Specialized bike, and not a knock-off like the fork? I've never heard of a 2009 Ground Control. I remember a bunch of demo's, FSR's, and StumpHumpers back then, I don't remember a Ground Control.

If the fork ever fails, it does look like they've got you covered.

Other ZOOM-Product details

hlchair.jpg

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,986 Posts
to ride....I wouldn't rebuild the fork or drop any money - those old avid brakes are not any good - now if you are restoring then that is different - spend your money on a good used bike....components are way better

·
Kick Start My Heart
590 Posts
A pinch bolt steering tube on a double crown?
I've never seen that before.
Interesting fork, but yeah, I'd strip it down, lube as I could, reassemble and ride 'til dies.
Neat!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts