Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 04 888r and it needs a little work and adjusting. I'm just a poor college student so I'm not gonna pay to have it overhauled, plus I'm pretty mechanically inclined and figure I can do most of the work myself. I do have a few questions though. The fork is feeling a little stiff and seems to be topping out a bit hard. It also doesn't seem to be using all the travel. I was going to start with replacing the oil in the fork and see what that does. Does anyone know any good guides to help me change the oil or just have any advice? I've read the go-ride.com tips on 888 tuning and that is really helpful but did not answer my simple questions. Do I just drain the oil from the top of the stantions and pour the new oil in there as well? 7.5 weight oil seems to be the standard, is this what most everyone uses? I'm trying to set up my fork to be a little more plush and better for downhill. I want it to plow through the rough stuff a little smoother. Any help or advice on how to set up my fork better would be appreciated. BTW I weigh 160. Thanks

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
i'm not familiar with the long travel forks, but have you checked out the enduro fork seals site for tips & seals?

7.5 wt golden spectro is what 'zokes oil is. get it or a similar synthetic fork oil from a local motorcycle shop. it'll be lots cheaper than from the bike shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I just got some 7.5wt oil and went for it and it turned out to really not be that hard to do. Seemed to have worked out well, got the fork back together and on the bike, it feels way better than before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.