Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my way ordering an Uzzi VP small.
But the question is what kind of fork headset combination would clear the downtube? Any experiance, especially integrated headsets?
I want to use either a Fox Talas 160mm or a Rock Shox Lyrik RC2DH Solo Air 170mm but I am not sure if an integrated headset would work.

Tanks for the input.
Ralf

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi Ralf

I have a small Uzzi as well. My headset is a Reset Wan.5 Shorty and the fork is a Fox 36 Van (160 mm). There is enough clearance between crown of the fork and downtube of the frame.

Cheers.

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
I have the cane creek with low stack height (probably what you mean by integrated) and a Lyrik 170. My frame is a large, but BB is pretty low which you might want to take into consideration if your trails are rocky and you don't want to use the steepest dropout setting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
randan said:
Hi Ralf

I have a small Uzzi as well. My headset is a Reset Wan.5 Shorty and the fork is a Fox 36 Van (160 mm). There is enough clearance between crown of the fork and downtube of the frame.

Cheers.
Hi randan, can you please measure how much clearance you have between the top of the knobs of the fork and the down tube? Because I would like to use the Cane Creek XXc Flush II Head Set oe something similar. Just to make sure that the crown of the fork wont hit the frame (like with the small Intense 6.6 I have now).

For the fork, why did you chose the Van over the Talas?

Cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have a 180 talas with cc xxii flush

https://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/img/photos/1/9/0/9/5/8/_/medium/Foto9.JPG?0

Intense Uzzi Small works raw
CCDB with 450 Ti
Fox Talas 180 RC2 Fit Kashima
DT Swiss EX500 black with CKing Hubs silver 135x10
Swampthing 2.35 single ply 60a
Conti super lite
XX front & rear derailleurs
XX Shifts
XX cassette 11/36
X9 cranks black 170mm 26/39
Elixir CR 203/180 black
CK BB pewter
KMC chain silver
CC XXc flush II head set black
Thomson Elite X4 stem black
Thomson Elite setpost black
WTB Devo Carbon
RF low riser purple
Twenty6 Ti pedals purple
Jagwire cable carbon

14.7kg/32.4lbs

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi Ralf

there is about 3-4 mm of clearance. I don't know how the knobs of the actual Talas fork look like, but on a 2008 model the the talas-knob arises if you "active" the travel adjust and so with a fork like that the knob might hit the downtube. I hope you get what I mean. Otherwise I can also describe it in german ;o)

I chose the Van over the Talas because I rode a 2008 Talas for about 2 years and wasn't to happy with it (never getting full travel, too much brake dive, to progressive at the last part of travel).

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
randan said:
never getting full travel, too much brake dive, to progressive at the last part of travel).
Wait, that sounds like an air fork! :D

My Lyrik Solo air had that tendancy too, much like every air shock I used. Converting to coil was one of the best things ever. Nothing like getting a 170mm fork but only using about 100mm since it blows through the beginning immediately and never quite reaches the end (or then is harsh).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi randan got the picture, thanks. Also don't know the new knobs and LBS can also not tell what combination would work best.
How rides your setup? Is it not unbalanced and twitchy?
My 2006 Talas also has to much break dive and especially for riding steep steps I need to increase the preasure.

Anyone using a 2011 Lyrik DH solo air with a flushed headset?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
snakesterhk said:
My wife has a small with the cane creek double xc flush headset and a lyrik coil. It has the pop up cap for the lockout and it clears the frame. I had to check before I bought her frame too!
Hi snakesterhk, looks like the combination of a Lyrik 170mm with a low stack headset will work. To make sure can you please post or PM a picture that shows how much space is between the top cap and the frame because I can not check here with the LBS because no small frame in stock. Build list would be also very interesting.
Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Ralph
Here is my wife's bike. She is only 110 lbs so I've built it pretty light but still strong enough for the whistler bike park. It's 32 lbs. Just to let you know the small size is not correct on the Intense website. It says the measurement of the seat tube is 16 on the small but from the center of the BB to top of the seat tube is only 15 inches. My wife is 5'1" and this setup fits her very well.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.