Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reanimating my early 90's Trek 930 as a single speed. I would like to put a suspension fork on it. Is there any reason I can't run a 105 mm fork on it (eg to much stress on the frame) ?

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would consider trying to find a fork that's as close to the original spec as possible. Here's my story...

I had a 1995 Trek 930SHX that came stock with a Rock Shox Quadra 5. It had about 2 inches of travel. I stuck a 1997 Marzocchi Bomber Z2 w/ 2.6 inches of travel on it in 98 and LOVED the improvement.

Then I got out of the sport for about 5 years. The Z2 had blown seals and I decided to go with the 06 MX Comp ETA 105/125. Why not go with 4 inches, right? At first I thought I lost a ridiculous amount of skill and could no longer control the bike due to my lack of riding. But then I started to do some research in bike geometry and sizing. I found that I was on a 19.5 inch bike (2.5in too big) with a standover of 32 inches. Then I "chopperized" my bike with the big shock. It raised my standover almost 2 inches and relaxed my head tube angle. It was slower to steer and pretty much guranteed "wheelie TIME" on every steep hill.

It drove me so crazy, I opted for a 17inch Dakar Sport Frame at Jenson that's speced for a 4inch shock. The results have been more than pleasant. My bike turns when I want and sticks to the ground on the climbs.

Here's a couple pics. You can immediately see how far up I threw my old trek. It makes me laugh to think of how hard I made it on myself those first couple of months, haha!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts