Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,

I'm building up a 2002 Merlin Mountain Hardtail frame (Brand New). It is spec'ed for a 80mm fork.

Now, is it better to get a 2007 Fox F100 RLC and then spend $ (Fox Fluid) and my own labor converting it to 80mm travel, or just get a 2007 F80 RLC right off the bat and save myself the trouble?

Reason for a 100mm fork was to "future proof" it. I.e. in event I want to move the fork to another frame someday. Fox says the 80mm cannot be safely converted to 100mm, but the reverse can be done.

However, I was thinking, since the Merlin frame is new, it will probably outlast the fork.

And oh, yes, the 80mm version is a little bit lighter.

Your thoughts?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Sk1nnyGuy said:
Howdy folks,

I'm building up a 2002 Merlin Mountain Hardtail frame (Brand New). It is spec'ed for a 80mm fork.

Now, is it better to get a 2007 Fox F100 RLC and then spend $ (Fox Fluid) and my own labor converting it to 80mm travel, or just get a 2007 F80 RLC right off the bat and save myself the trouble?

Reason for a 100mm fork was to "future proof" it. I.e. in event I want to move the fork to another frame someday. Fox says the 80mm cannot be safely converted to 100mm, but the reverse can be done.

However, I was thinking, since the Merlin frame is new, it will probably outlast the fork.

Your thoughts?
I've got an 04ish Fox Float 80 RLC and I wish I'd have gone with the 100. I don't think 100mm will throw things off too much if your 02 frame is designed around an 80mm travel fork. If you're going super racer boy/weight weenie, then you should go with something lighter like a SID.

The only fork that will last as long as your Merlin would be a rigid one. :)

·
mtbr member
454 Posts
Sk1nnyGuy said:
Howdy folks,

Your thoughts?
Unless you have decided on Fox, you would avoid those troubles with a 100 mm Reba. It's a dual air fork, and thus you can choose sag and spring rate independently. So you can choose 80 or 100, or 63 or any other travel (below 100) for that matter, by just choosing different air pressures in the two chambers. It's light too.

Just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts