Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Giant Reign 3 with '05 Manitou Minute 1. I'd like to get something with a little more travel and adjustability. My current budget is about $500 and my local bike shop has three forks in my price range.

2007 Fox Vanilla 32 RLC: 140 mm

2006 Marzocchi All Mountain SL, air spring: 130-150 mm

2006 Rock Shox Pike air spring: 140 mm, the non-uturn version

I'd mostly be doing aggressive XC with some jumps and drops, Super D racing, and occasional DH racing for fun. All these forks are about the same price, the shop is having the 2006 forks on sale.

I'm debating whether or not I need a coil spring or if air will be fine and if I need a 20 mm through axle or not. I'm only 150 lbs so not to heavy. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a "WheelWorld custom" '05 Reign

I had an '05 TALAS 32 at first on my Reign. It is the perfect fork for XC on a Reign. I loved it for XC, but wasn't happy jumping or doing shuttle runs. So, I saw a deal on a TALAS 36 RC2 and couldn't resist. The angles are a lot different now and it weighs a little more. It was 29 and change, now it weighs 32. It doesn't climb as well even if I dial the fork down, but that was to be expected. The descending is waaaaaay better. I think the trade-off is worth it. Even though 65% of my riding is XC, with 35% other (jumping/shuttle). I can take my time on the climbs and enjoy the down hills more. Your style may be different. If you do decide to put an XC fork on there, know you are limiting the true essence of the Reign. That was one of the main reasons I don't feel guilty making my friends wait for me at the top of climbs. I don't mind waiting for them at the bottom. :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
HalomTano Biking said:
I have a 2005 Giant Reign 3 with '05 Manitou Minute 1. I'd like to get something with a little more travel and adjustability. My current budget is about $500 and my local bike shop has three forks in my price range.

I'd mostly be doing aggressive XC with some jumps and drops, Super D racing, and occasional DH racing for fun. All these forks are about the same price, the shop is having the 2006 forks on sale.

I'm debating whether or not I need a coil spring or if air will be fine and if I need a 20 mm through axle or not. I'm only 150 lbs so not to heavy. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have an 05 Reign with 05 marzocchi AMSL 150mm. I would go for 06 Marzocchi AMSL the reason is it's lighter and you have the adjustability to got 130mm to 150mm. in my case i just leave it to 150mm and the geometry is still fine.

here's my Reign 3

·
Registered
34 Posts
tkblazer said:
chad, is your bike still that clean? man mine was thrashed after the first week... i am pretty hard on my bike tho
sorry I forgot i'm logged in to my old username,

I know some of the guys I ride with thought that my bike was new..:D I usually wash my bike every ride and keep it clean.. :thumbsup:

·
May contain nuts
2,440 Posts
HalomTano Biking said:

How does the A-C and weight compare for the Pike and AMSL at full travel? The Pike is very versatile and doesn't need any travel adjust. The new AMSL has a 20m axle which would be my pref over an older QR model.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Haggis said:
How does the A-C and weight compare for the Pike and AMSL at full travel? The Pike is very versatile and doesn't need any travel adjust. The new AMSL has a 20m axle which would be my pref over an older QR model.
he's asking about the 2006 AMSL not 2007 AMSL which has 20mm axle

2006 AMSL 150mm
Weight: 2030 grams
AC Height: 538mm
QR

2006 Pike 409 U Turn 140mm
Wieght: 2229 Grams
AC Height: ???
20mm axle

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
GiantCHaDSTeR said:
he's asking about the 2006 AMSL not 2007 AMSL which has 20mm axle

2006 AMSL 150mm
Weight: 2030 grams
AC Height: 538mm
QR

2006 Pike 409 U Turn 140mm
Wieght: 2229 Grams
AC Height: ???
20mm axle
Pike and Nixon are both ~518mm I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.