Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find a fork for my heckler since I ordered the frame, and now that it's here I need to get one so I can get this thing built up and ride. Either a 20mm TA is fine or a QR drop out because If I get a thru axle, I'll end up buying a new hub anyways. I guess since the heckler can take up to 160 that thats all I need up to, probably not even. I'll be doing mostly all mountain riding and some light freeride in the future. I'm pretty flexible on the price but nothing extremely steep . I'm open to anything really....Fox, Marzocchi, Rockshox. Also, If you know where to find a good deal on any of the forks I listed or anyone you are suggesting, please post a link or where I can find it.

Here is what I'm thinking about so far:

- 2006 or 2007Marzocchi Z1 (Not sure which specific model yet)
- Fox 32/36 Float
- Fox 32/36 Talas
- Rockshox Pike

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have a Fox 36 Talas RC2 on my Specialized Enduro Expert and love it. It's a great all mountain fork, very beefy, 20mm TA and adjustable travel.

I also have a 07 Pike 454 Air UTurn on my Yeti 575 and love that too. It's lighter than the Fox 36 and has 140mm travel vs 150mm for the Fox 36 (2005 model). I got my first ride on it yesterday and I was extremely pleased with the ride and I don't even have it dialed in yet.
Either of these forks will fit the bill extremely well. Go with the Fox 36 if you want the extra beef and longer travel and don't mind the extra 1lb. Otherwise I'd go with the Pike.

I've never ridden a Marzocchi fork so I can't comment on them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Look for a closeout 130-150mm 2006 Marz All Mountain 1

If you're on a budget the Italian made 130-150mm 2006 AM1 with ETA, TST, TAS, etc. is a good fork, I've seen them for well under $500 new. Try Downshift Cycles, Jenson, etc. Check comparisonpricing.com too. I've got a Euro 2005 130-150mm AM1 on a Heckler with DHX Air, it's a great fork for the money on a Heckler. ( I paid $440 new in early 2006)
Stay away from the cheaper 2006 AM1 w/ETA, that's a POS.

Update: 2 current ebay bike vendors have this fork, "buy it now" for $399 and $489.
Wheel World closeout 2006 AM1 130-150mm $499 - 20% code BFWW20 = $399.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone who rides a Heckler have any type of Marzocchi 66 on theirs? I know that it has 170mm travel, but the fork is interesting me incase later on I do bigger stuff. Also since I'm on a small, will this throw off the geometry?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I already chose and decided to go through with the 2007 Fox Float with 140mm. I was looking at the 66's and Z1's and I eventually didn't want to deal with changing the hub and all the extra money. The 66 also would have been just too much fork and too tall for me so the Float is perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.