Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to take the '05 Marz Marathon XC off my Burner and put it onto a singlespeed frame, at least for the short term (I could put a rigid fork on the SS, but I don't think I want that).

I built the Burner up heavy with expectations I'd later migrate everything over to a 5 Spot. The Marathon XC is limited to a 6" rotor and a (according to the manual) 2.2" tire, so I wouldn't mind replacing it with something beefier.

Is there a 5 Spot recommended fork that I could get away with running on the Burner (a longer travel Marz with lots of neg pressure) until summer, or should I just plan on riding the SS until I can get a 5 Spot frame?

·
Registered
350 Posts
anotherbrian said:
Is there a 5 Spot recommended fork that I could get away with running on the Burner (a longer travel Marz with lots of neg pressure) until summer?
Get a Fox Vanilla and lower it to 100 mm until the 5-Spot arrives? It's a quick job to remove two spacers from inside the fork. No oilchange or similar needed, just open the leg and remove the spacer. Then put it back together. I have never lowered it myself but have had the fork into pieces on my workbench.

Marvelous fork for the Spot anyway.

Another option would be the Rock Shox Pike but you'd need a new hub for that.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
another option - get a 110-130 2005 AM1. Most places are giving these forks away right now (compared to the price in JaAn 05).

Run the TAS down to 110 for now and then up to 130 when you get the spot.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Go with a PIKE coil! Vanilla would work great on the Burner but it is a noodle when exteded to full 5" on the Spot. I found out the hard way. Revelation would be about the same. PIKE coil can be turned down to 95mm, all the way up to 140, it even works with the 6 Pack! PIKE U-Turn air goes down to 110mm, so it would be a bit much for the Burner as the AC distance is longer than a 32mm Fox for the given travel amount.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
SSINGA said:
another option - get a 110-130 2005 AM1. Most places are giving these forks away right now (compared to the price in JaAn 05).

Run the TAS down to 110 for now and then up to 130 when you get the spot.
I thought about that option, but at 110mm setting, the AM1 will be as tall as the Fox at 130mm.

_MK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.