Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a good fork for my 29 build that will able to swap to 26's as well and can handle my weight. I saw in the 29er forum people are raving about thhe Marzocchi 44 TI for 349 at chain drive which is fine if It will work for me on my Trek 4300 frame.

Any help would be great thanks!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I don't think the geometry will change, except the BB which will drop 1,5" of course...
Putting a 29er fork on a Trek 4300 is going to significantly alter the geometry of the bike. The Marzocchi 44 TST2 29er fork is 511mm a-t-c in the 100mm travel setting. The stock fork is around 480mm a-t-c in a 100mm setting. So that is an increase of 31mm which will knock the headtube angle back about 1.5 degrees. Not a huge deal, BUT now we have to add the wheel. A 29er wheel is going to add another 38mm height from the additional 1.5" radius of the wheel. Now there is 69mm of additional height in the front which is going to knock that headtube back almost 3.5 degrees and raise the whole front end and BB height quite a bit. On top of that a 300# rider with that additional leverage on the head tube of the frame designed for a much shorter fork is concerning (and running that set up will void any frame warranty).

The OP needs to just get a 29er and not convert a Trek 4300 26er into one.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Putting a 29er fork on a Trek 4300 is going to significantly alter the geometry of the bike. The Marzocchi 44 TST2 29er fork is 511mm a-t-c in the 100mm travel setting. The stock fork is around 480mm a-t-c in a 100mm setting. So that is an increase of 31mm which will knock the headtube angle back about 1.5 degrees. Not a huge deal, BUT now we have to add the wheel. A 29er wheel is going to add another 38mm height from the additional 1.5" radius of the wheel. Now there is 69mm of additional height in the front which is going to knock that headtube back almost 3.5 degrees and raise the whole front end and BB height quite a bit. On top of that a 300# rider with that additional leverage on the head tube of the frame designed for a much shorter fork is concerning (and running that set up will void any frame warranty).

X2.... 300lbs rider on a bike raked out like that is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I can get a fork and lower it and stiffen it to compensate, I am running 29s on the bike right now and had to file the stock 26er fork a touch but it works fine and the bike handles great for me and Any help would be great. No bike shop in my town has a 29er I like as well as my modded 4300 and I live in a college town with like 10 bike shops.

They all said I was crazy but I like my convert and it's close to perfection but it needs a great fork and tire tubes that do not pop and chain and sprockets that do not pop and break teeth.

I just popped another tube and put a dent in my MTX 33 rear rim running over a curb.

·
Registered
29 Posts

if both wheels are the same, regardless of size, it wont change the angle, except for any difference in fork length.

·
Get busy!!
180 Posts
Trek had a bike like this. It was called the 69er wasn't it? 29 in the front and 26 in the rear. You are saying you can run a 29 inch wheel in a 26 inch fork with a little filing? Crazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.