Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Specialized Ground Control FSR. I am thinking of getting this fork for it:

RockShox Tora 302 Suspension Forks is a quality long-travel fork for all mountain use with U-Turn travel adjustment, lockout, and alloy steer tube. The travel can be adjusted from 85mm to 130mm via the U-Turn travel knob. Designed to ride up hill as well as down.

Features
Alloy Steer tube
U-Turn Travel adjustment
85-130mm or travel
External rebound travel adjustment
Lock out (Pop lock version includes handlebar lock lever)
Published weight 5.3 lbs

Compatibility
Disc or V-Brake
Standard QR drop out
1 1/8" threadless steer tube

Found here: https://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK405A11-Rock+Shox+Tora+302+Coil+U-Turn+Fork.aspx

Would the 130mm setting make the head tube angle too steep and dangerous?

·
Registered
796 Posts
That bike was designed around a 75-100mm fork, so if you ran the one you are looking at in the middle of the travel you will be fine. Actually, the FSR extreme from that year (same exact frame) came with a double-triple clamp on it so the front end is certainly strong enough for a longer travel set up. If you bump up to 130 the head angle will be petty slack but the bike will hold up fine.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But do I have the "FSR Extreme"? Here's my bike:

-Rock Shox coil shock 4.25 inches travel
-Manitou Black fork 80mm travel
-A generic new seat post I bought for $23
-A pretty good WTB saddle by buddy Ben gave me
-2.1 inch Kenda Nevegals folding beads Ben gave me for only $10
-XT rear der. from Ben for free
-New LX shifters I bought for $40
-No front der. I have an XT that I am going to put on
-Some wheels I already had

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't how many people have owned this bike. I bought it for only $100. Anyway, it looks like someone started scrubbing the paint off so that's why the welds look like that.

It looks to me like the giant toptube and the little reinforcing triangle thing that is also welded to the headtube should make it strong enough.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
apat13 said:
Actually, the FSR extreme from that year (same exact frame) came with a double-triple clamp on it so the front end is certainly strong enough for a longer travel set up. If you bump up to 130 the head angle will be petty slack but the bike will hold up fine.
It was a Judy XL...which was a 100mm fork with 28mm legs...SO NO, IT IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH FOR A LONGER TRAVEL SET UP.:nono:

·
Registered
796 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
It was a Judy XL...which was a 100mm fork with 28mm legs...SO NO, IT IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH FOR A LONGER TRAVEL SET UP.:nono:
I am going to have to disagree with you there. That judy may have only been a 100mm travel fork, but it had a much taller stack height and the double clamp stresses the headtube more than the single clamp he is looking at. Hell, back in 1998 I installed a Riesse DH fork (inverted, double clamp, 7 inches of travel) on one of these frames (the shop's demo bike, which was already beat to crap) and used it for a weekend at mount snow. It held up fine, although the handling was awkward with the extreme head angle and high BB.

If he were talking about a santa cruz superlight or another lightweight bike I would agree with you 100%, but this frame in particular is pretty overbuilt for its time and can certainly take the fork. That is not to say the angles won't be weird at around 140mm......but dangerous? NO.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
no not bummer. you don't want that fork anyways, it's a ripoff when you can get a tora 318 air for less. it's 100mm and will suit you better anyway. but I have the same frame as you and am running a psylo XC 125mm, and it's fine. just measure your steerer, this frame has a very long headtube. if you're adamant about the 302, pricepoint has it for $170 not that I wouldn't pay $20 more for the 318+air.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Timpanogos said:
I don't how many people have owned this bike. I bought it for only $100. Anyway, it looks like someone started scrubbing the paint off so that's why the welds look like that.

It looks to me like the giant toptube and the little reinforcing triangle thing that is also welded to the headtube should make it strong enough.
Nice purchase - it might be old but the suspension design is still in use all over the industry because it works so well. That bike was a steal for $100.

You are correct about the lower gusset as well - it adds tremendous strength to the head tub juncture. As I said before, it is a very strong and overbuilt frame.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mtnbiker72, even though it may have originally had Judy on it, I don't see why it can't handle something a little taller. I am going to go for it. I will let you know if something bad happens.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vk45de, I don't have my heart set on the 302. That 318 is better, right? However, you say it's 100mm, but the link took me to a 80/100/130mm fork. Did I miss something? Anyway, thanks for pointing out other options. I am checking out Pricepoint now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.