Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a different skewer help torsional flex? It's got OEM external cam skewers now.

I've put about a 100 miles on my Anthem X2, with F100 RL forks, and I'm really noticing the torsional flex in rock gardens, and hard cornering. The rest of the bike is so stiff, the fork flex really stands out. I wish they put a 15 mm on this bike, maybe that would help.

Any input, thanks!

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
You could also try, if your hub permits, a solid axle with bolts, a friend of mine swears it helped his fork. That F100 is a light xc fork, though, and depends what you're comparing it to.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bikinfoolferlife said:
You could also try, if your hub permits, a solid axle with bolts, a friend of mine swears it helped his fork. That F100 is a light xc fork, though, and depends what you're comparing it to.
:D well, I was running a Talas on my Stumpy. It was a little flexy, but not like this. I'm not the lightest, at 215 lbs., and I assume that combined with the steeper HA, makes it extra noticeable. I just want to stiffen it up, as best I can. How do you know if the hub permits this? It's a WTB LaserDisc Lite, 32H.

Thanks for the idea.

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
I don't think that WTB hub can accommodate a threaded axle (but a hub using a regular threaded quick release axle can be converted easily). I don't think changing qr skewer will be a big change, unless you're running a ti skewer now; the clamping force of a properly adjusted external cam should be fine (it's when they're not maintained they can be a pain to work well), although I prefer a Shimano skewer with the internal cam, I've switched them back and forth and didn't notice any change.

I use a Van32 (140) that feels flexy compared to my Van36, but I don't think of it as flexy compared to some other forks I've got or used. YMMV.

·
kneecap
1,639 Posts
I get some perceived stiffness with a bolt on QR axle, tension is easier to adjust over a regular qr, they are a bit lighter & less expensive as well.

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
kneecap said:
I get some perceived stiffness with a bolt on QR axle, tension is easier to adjust over a regular qr, they are a bit lighter & less expensive as well.
You put bolts on a qr axle?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kneecap said:

could you provide a link or company name, to what you're talking about?
it would be much appreciated.

I was also wondering if those DT Swiss ratchet skewers would help?
Anyone used them, and noticed a stiffening effect?

Thanks everybody.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
think it's the fork

d365 said:
could you provide a link or company name, to what you're talking about?
it would be much appreciated.

I was also wondering if those DT Swiss ratchet skewers would help?
Anyone used them, and noticed a stiffening effect?

Thanks everybody.
Pick the front of your bike up and spin the front tire fast, then lock the brake and watch the fork bounce up and down.

My 32 is a flexy little bizznatch

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
Its the fork... Doesn't matter which skewer you use, the interface between the hub and dropouts is the same.

You can buy 15mm lowers for those, for about 200 bucks! Relace the wheels with a new hub and you're golden!

Or, maybe you can find a weight weenie with a 15mm set up and you can swap front wheel/lowers straight across.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
d365 said:
can a different skewer help torsional flex? It's got OEM external cam skewers now.

I've put about a 100 miles on my Anthem X2, with F100 RL forks, and I'm really noticing the torsional flex in rock gardens, and hard cornering. The rest of the bike is so stiff, the fork flex really stands out. I wish they put a 15 mm on this bike, maybe that would help.

Any input, thanks!
Even if you put a 15mm axle on it (20mm would be better) it's not going to significantly reduce the flex, because it's the dropouts, stanchions, sliders, and crown all contributing. Eliminating one of these will help, but there are many other sources. I'd look at your wheel first and then maybe a different skewer.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
How is your wheel stiffness? Use nothing lighter than 2.0/1.8 double butted spokes if you want a stiff wheel.

Fox 32 forks are very flexy for sure, the light weight crown and loose bushing tolerance are at least as much of the flex problem as axle size, or tightness. The DT Swiss ratcheting skewers can tighten up and reduce flex more than cam type skewers. Simple bolt on skewer can do the same thing but you have to carry tools. Internal cam skewers such as Shimano resist dirt and friction better and tighten up consistently easier and so potentially tighter than open cam.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
you could sell it and buy a reba.. much much stiffer! theres also a 20mm axle'd reba which would be leagues different in terms of stiffness.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
d365 said:
:D well, I was running a Talas on my Stumpy. It was a little flexy, but not like this.

There you go, use your talas. Can't believe you went with a 100 after the talas.

When I built my bike w/ the vanilla, I heard the 32 was going to be a little flexy. I thought that since I would be lowering it from 140 to 125, it might have a little more reinforcement.:nono: It didn't.

A spring fork at 4 pounds w/ rlc, it is what it is. The tune-ability makes up for alot IMO and it's the reason I got the thing.

Can the RS forks compare to the tune-ability of the rlc?

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
a dual air rs fork is much more tunable. you'd be really surprised.

the damper isnt quite as good as foxes, but its still very good. the chassis stiffness more than makes up for it.

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
Dougal said:
I run the back hub on one of my bikes that way.
Tap the axle ends to M6, find some big flat washers and install some M6 bolts.
How long was that qr axle?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DeerhillOG said:
There you go, use your talas. Can't believe you went with a 100 after the talas.
The Talas is on my Stumpy, the 100 came on my Anthem X. I had thought about swapping the Talas over, but it seems like overkill for this bike, idk.

thanks for the replies everyone.

The consensus seems to be that this fork will just be flexy, no matter what, and I'm doomed to drop more cash on stiffer spokes, maybe new lowers and new hub, or I just have to buy a different fork....... or I can just ride this noodle and deal.

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
d365 said:
The Talas is on my Stumpy, the 100 came on my Anthem X. I had thought about swapping the Talas over, but it seems like overkill for this bike, idk.

thanks for the replies everyone.

The consensus seems to be that this fork will just be flexy, no matter what, and I'm doomed to drop more cash on stiffer spokes, maybe new lowers and new hub, or I just have to buy a different fork....... or I can just ride this noodle and deal.

...Or loose 25 lbs or so... You're kind of a clyde. (no offense, I am as well...) But, less weight up top, less leverage working against the fork.

Now, if only I'd heed my own advice...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts