Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what they're called. The raised lip that surrounds your skewer and prevents the wheel from being removed by just opening the QR. Without getting into a safety debate. Can I file off the lower part of the lip without sacrificing the stiffness of the fork?

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
FridaHeel said:
Not sure what they're called. The raised lip that surrounds your skewer and prevents the wheel from being removed by just opening the QR. Without getting into a safety debate. Can I file off the lower part of the lip without sacrificing the stiffness of the fork?
They're usually called "Lawyer's tabs"...

They're there for safety reasons and avoid lawsuits for wheels popping out with no warning :)rolleyes: - thanks to a dumb user, I'd say)

They've been used for years now and being kind of a rib, I'd think they're a stress element of the dropout nowadays and I think it would not be wise to remove them. Not to mention it would automatically void your warranty.

Woodman has some skewers that release completely off the lawyer's tabs. I'd say that's a better option.

Woodman's Gator Pro

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.