Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
I had been riding around on a Marzocchi fork with a gouge 10x worse than that for over 15 years. I had purchased the fork new and had the LBS install it. I didn't know it was gouged until years later when I removed the fork. Apparently the child mechanic at the LBS had messed it up but didn't say anything. It looked like he started to cut it with a pipe cutter about half way down the steerer tube and then must have realized he was cutting in the wrong spot and stopped. :rolleyes:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had been riding around on a Marzocchi fork with a gouge 10x worse than that for over 15 years. I had purchased the fork new and had the LBS install it. I didn't know it was gouged until years later when I removed the fork. Apparently the child mechanic at the LBS had messed it up but didn't say anything. It looked like he started to cut it with a pipe cutter about half way down the steerer tube and then must have realized he was cutting in the wrong spot and stopped. :rolleyes:
Were you able to contact them back? Or were they out of business then

Registered
They're still in business, I just never use them for anything. The fork install was the only business I had with them. It was so many years after the fact that I never bothered to contact them about the fork.
I did go in there a few months back and asked what it would cost to chase and face a bottom bracket. The mechanic looked bewildered at my request 馃槀
If that type of service would be challenging for them then I know to go elsewhere 馃

Registered
If thats a carbon steerer, I would stop riding immedietly. I suspect that its the "ring of death" and its usually caused by riding a loose headset for far too long. In a carbon steer tube, its an absolute no go. When buying a used road bike or CX bike, ALWAYS drop the fork out of the frame to check for this. I'm not sure I'd trust it even with an alloy steer tube. Good luck!

Evolutionsverlierer
Interesting, I've never seen a fork where the manufacturer textured the carbon to simulate aluminum and then spray it will silver paint :p
Maybe the fork was made on the day which in business circles is called "how to screw with customers in the most intricate ways possible with absolutely no regards of sense or cost".

Registered
Interesting, I've never seen a fork where the manufacturer textured the carbon to simulate aluminum and then spray it will silver paint :p
lol i realize the steerer was aluminum in OPs pics, i just wanted to be all encompassing incase anyone else read it. Its an important, yet not widely known thing to check for in the used road bike market.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol i realize the steerer was aluminum in OPs pics, i just wanted to be all encompassing incase anyone else read it. Its an important, yet not widely known thing to check for in the used road bike market.
I think its just from someone who tried to cut the steerer but didn't fully, the cut isnt anywhere near the bearings but it is within the headtube

Registered
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.