Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 X-Fusion Metric R and even after letting all the air out it doesn't compress more than 80mm out of the 180mm. I have taken it apart when it happened before and the thing that got stuck was the rebound damper. I messed with it and got it to work again, it worked perfectly, but now it's broken again. I think it might have something to do with the rebound air chamber and oil getting into it, but I have no idea. Does anyone know what's happening here and how I should fix it?

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
You may be stuck getting a new fork. X-fusion has never made their service information available and appears to have abandon the market with no replacement parts available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That might be the only option if I want to completely eliminate this problem. But I have fixed it again, I just unscrewed the rebound cartridge bottom, where the IFP piston sits I think that's what it's called, and let some oil out like the last time. I think it somehow seeps in from the lowers when I have the bike upside down, but I'm just guessing. It's working great now, well until the next time this happens at least, and I'm still not sure why it does happen.

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
That might be the only option if I want to completely eliminate this problem. But I have fixed it again, I just unscrewed the rebound cartridge bottom, where the IFP piston sits I think that's what it's called, and let some oil out like the last time. I think it somehow seeps in from the lowers when I have the bike upside down, but I'm just guessing. It's working great now, well until the next time this happens at least, and I'm still not sure why it does happen.
Try replacing the oring between lowers and bottom of the damper. Orings are typically standard sizes and easily sourced.

·
Underskilled
4,932 Posts
I don't know this fork, so apologies if this is daft.

Is oil leaking to the air side of the ifp?

If so, replace the ifp seal and make sure damping oil stays in the damper not in the expansion chamber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is oil leaking to the air side of the ifp?
Well there's always a bit of oil there, but when I take it apart there isn't enough to stop the piston moving before it bottoms out on the step on the cap on the bottom of the damper like it's supposed to. I might order the correct size socket for the top cap and take the whole damper out completely to find out what's actually happening, but I'm not doing that until it breaks again.

And the air pressure in the ifp chamber was the same as when I pumped it up last time, so I doubt that it's a bad seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.