Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
no, I'm not riding SS
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here goes:
I have a 2010 GF Rig, and want to upgrade the fork to something with a 15TA (probably a Reba or SID). Now, trying to find an 1-1/8 steertube, 80 mm travel, with a 15TA, AND 51mm offset is pretty much impossible. would it be possible to maintain the trail (and G2 geometry) by using a standard offset fork and a Angleset headset?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
676 Posts
Head angle and trail/offset are not the same thing. I have never used the angleset, but if you change the head angle to move the front wheel back towards you, then the front of the bike will be raised and the BB as well. If you adjust the angle of the headset to move the wheel away from you, then it will lower the headtube and BB. So I believe it will affect more than just a fork with the proper length and offset. But the angleset is probably not moving things enough to notice the changes I described. Thats all theoretical.

I don't notice these changes as much most people, and I think the big wheels make it harder to notice. I put a G2 fork on my vassago a couple years ago, and it felt just like the regular reba I had before. In fact, I switched to a 20mm reba from a qr fox once, and could not tell much difference. Granted it was a smooth trail, and I was running bolt on surly hubs and flows, but I notice different tires much more than different fork offset.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.