Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '19 Stumpjumper alloy comp and it seems that after proper adjustment of the headset (I know the drill), my fork crown isn't sitting flush with my frame. Has anyone noticed the same thing on their SJ alloy?

It looks to be caused by the crown race, which has some (too much imo) tapering on the undeeside to facilitate its removal. Where the tapering ends fits perfectly with the bottom end of the headtube and the height of the tapered part corresponds to the space that can be observed.

Everything looks fine at the upper bearing.

Normal on this model with the stock FSA headset or not?
Black Bicycle accessory Material property Carbon Office equipment

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
The gap in the top pic looks OK but bottom pick looks like more than usual. I haven't seen a crown race that has anything more than a small chamfer on its lower outside edge. If you're seeing more than that I would wonder if it was installed upside down. It's probably not, but loosen the stem and top cap enough to drop the fork down and take a look and check out what's going on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gap in the top pic looks OK but bottom pick looks like more than usual. I haven't seen a crown race that has anything more than a small chamfer on its lower outside edge. If you're seeing more than that I would wonder if it was installed upside down. It's probably not, but loosen the stem and top cap enough to drop the fork down and take a look and check out what's going on.
Bottom pic is taken at another angle to show the tapering, so it looks worse than the first one.

Bike came new this way. I don't know if its specialized who installs the races on the forks or if it's the LBS, but if it was indeed upside down, this would be a major **** up.

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could the lower bearing itself be upside down or would it look much worse than that?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, finally everything is normal. I went to the shop and compared it with a few other stumpjumpers, they all have a similar big gap. The lower race bevel is pretty high and it gives that result.

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.