Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Poison Oak Finder
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the snot out of the search function, and I hate to create yet another "help me" fork thread, but I need some advice.

Background: I have a 1998 Klein Mantra which I have been riding since I bought it new. I've upgraded a lot of the components along the way, but it is still on the original 1998 Manitou SX (70mm, I believe) fork. I'm going to kill two birds with one stone and upgrade to disc brakes while upgrading the fork. I weigh 170lbs, the bike is a "medium" frame, and I ride mostly XC type trails - singletrack, doubletrack, and fire roads - no racing, no jumping. The bike is a great climber, but has always felt a bit uneasy on the downhills. I think some minor geometry tweaks may help that (i.e. increased travel, stem angle, etc.).

Based on my reasearch, I've narrowed my choices down to 3 forks:
A) Manitou R7 (either an 06 Platinum or an 07 Super)
B) Rockshox Reba
C) Magura Menja

All three seem to be in the $400 price range and aprroximately the same weight range. Ideally, I'd like to stay under $500, so I've ruled out the Fox shocks.

I've got two big questions:
1) For those of you that have used these shocks, what do you think fits best with my bike and riding style? A bar mounted lockout would be nice, but is not a deal breaker.

2) The bigger question: 80mm or 100mm? I think my current fork is 70mm. The axle to bottom of headset length is 17.1/4" or so. Most of the 100mm forks end up around 18.1/2" or so which would raise the head and relax the angle slightly. I think this would help geometry wise, and if it is a bit too much, I could dial some out with stem angle. The 80mm/85mm forks end up around 18".

I'm not married to any of the three shocks (although I do like the Magura) and I will entertain other options in the price and performance range.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Egan said:
I've been using the snot out of the search function, and I hate to create yet another "help me" fork thread, but I need some advice.

Background: I have a 1998 Klein Mantra which I have been riding since I bought it new. I've upgraded a lot of the components along the way, but it is still on the original 1998 Manitou SX (70mm, I believe) fork. I'm going to kill two birds with one stone and upgrade to disc brakes while upgrading the fork. I weigh 170lbs, the bike is a "medium" frame, and I ride mostly XC type trails - singletrack, doubletrack, and fire roads - no racing, no jumping. The bike is a great climber, but has always felt a bit uneasy on the downhills. I think some minor geometry tweaks may help that (i.e. increased travel, stem angle, etc.).

Based on my reasearch, I've narrowed my choices down to 3 forks:
A) Manitou R7 (either an 06 Platinum or an 07 Super)
B) Rockshox Reba
C) Magura Menja

All three seem to be in the $400 price range and aprroximately the same weight range. Ideally, I'd like to stay under $500, so I've ruled out the Fox shocks.

I've got two big questions:
1) For those of you that have used these shocks, what do you think fits best with my bike and riding style? A bar mounted lockout would be nice, but is not a deal breaker.

2) The bigger question: 80mm or 100mm? I think my current fork is 70mm. The axle to bottom of headset length is 17.1/4" or so. Most of the 100mm forks end up around 18.1/2" or so which would raise the head and relax the angle slightly. I think this would help geometry wise, and if it is a bit too much, I could dial some out with stem angle. The 80mm/85mm forks end up around 18".

I'm not married to any of the three shocks (although I do like the Magura) and I will entertain other options in the price and performance range.
Get a fork on which the travel could be adjusted. Reba will go 85/100/115. Menja comes in three travel options, but is it the same fork with different internal configuration you could do yourself? The Menja looks interesting, but noone here has ridden one. Magura quality and customer service are stellar, so it isn't a tromendous risk. Reba is a great fork. R7s are not so great in terms of ride quality. SPV has really poor small bump compliance. You may like it, however, it you want your fork to have a strong platform.

_MK

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I've ridden the reba and own a R7 platinum.
I wanted the lightest xc fork i could find with SPV and it had to be air sprung as my weight "160" just would'nt allow me to get the full benefits from coils.
With the R7 i get a full 100mm every ride and the spv saves your legs on the climbs.
The platform works great,its only there when on smooth terrain and handles rock gardens better then my blacks because once the platform is broken it remains so for a few seconds so that it can absorb those rough spots then the platform returns via the terrain.
I can't tell you that the R7 would be the fork for you but i can tell you it was the right choice for me.My rides are long with alot of climbs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.